Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Last July at the state inspection I got busted for the wiper not clearing sufficiently. The inspector took my answer "it's always been that way, nothing you can do" and let me off. As I failed the inspection anyway I figured I'd replace the wiper blade assemblies hoping it would solve the issue should he require this to be improved. My word was enough so I passed.

Yesterday I drove in the rain and it is in fact bad, the inspector was right. The wiper blade clears up until directly in front of me and then stops. I have no idea how to resolve this or why this is happening as it's not happening on the passenger side. Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone resolved this and if so how?

H Neal - Do you mean your wipers have never really worked? Ours seems to work fine... Or is it working only wiping good in one direction?

How old are the wiper blades? We had a similar issue with our previous Ventana LE and a new set of wiper blades cured the problem. Seems that the rubber warps sitting in the sun and also hardens. We like the Trico 67-361 36" wiper blades as replacements; they seem to work better than the OEMs.

TJ

Might your wiper arm be slightly bent and lifting the blade off of the glass as it rises just past your view where it stops clearing?

H Neal - Do you mean your wipers have never really worked? Ours seems to work fine... Or is it working only wiping good in one direction?

When going from lower/stowed to sweep left it stops making contact with the glass directly in front of me and after that so it only clears the first 30% of the travel.

How old are the wiper blades? We had a similar issue with our previous Ventana LE and a new set of wiper blades cured the problem. Seems that the rubber warps sitting in the sun and also hardens. We like the Trico 67-361 36" wiper blades as replacements; they seem to work better than the OEMs.

TJ

New blade holder/arms and blades, it's not the blades, it's the main arm I think is the problem, it has a spring in it and it may just need to be replaced. I'm sure Newmar won't charge much! :rolleyes:

Might your wiper arm be slightly bent and lifting the blade off of the glass as it rises just past your view where it stops clearing?

I don't see anything abeeenormal, I tried bending it myself but not sure it's even bendable. I think I'll replace the arm and see what happens. It has to be fixed.

Grab a dry erase marker and draw a small line on the windshield from where it clears to just past where it stops clearing. Run your windshield wipers in cleaning mode. If the line remains, your arm is probably bent or something big else is going on because your blade is not on the glass. If it goes away or smears, replace your blade.

I sent an email to Newmar parts for a quote. There is a spring in the main arm and it could be a combination of things. It's been a while since I've ordered from parts. I'm worried they may have forgotten me :) Or completed their therapy after my wet bay projects!

Had a car that had that kind of problem. Slow speed was not a problem only over a set speed. The wind lifted the blade. Got another arm and the problem quit. I guess the spring was weak.

Ordered a new driver's side arm from Newmar. $140. Not bad. Need to fix this issue that's been a problem since day 1.

Neal, I have the same problem since new. I am considering shorter wiper blades. The existing 36 inch blades cover areas of the windshield that is out of my field of view near the top. Thinking of trying 28 to 30 inch blades.

Latest resources

Back