OTR Diagnostics, DEF, Derate Faults

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Not to go too far afield …. but

there is currently a very large problem in China with “ fake” or “fraudulent “ chips being sold to OEMs. The chips are scavenged from old electronic E-Recycled parts. Cleaned up, stripped of identity and sold as new.
A low volume manufacturer my use these chips which may test as good but fail as soon as stressed.

The new DEF heads may be failing due to fake chips being used in manufacture.

Last edited:
Not to go too far afield …. but

there is currently a very large problem in China with “ fake” or “fraudulent “ chips being sold to OEMs. The chips are scavenged from old electronic E-Recycled parts. Cleaned up, stripped of identity and sold as new.
A low volume manufacturer my use these chips which may test as good but fail as soon as stressed.

The new DEF heads may be failing due to fake chips being used in manufacture.
Hence the reason why we should be encouraging US manufacturers instead of buying everything from China. When people shop by price, they encourage this kind of problem.

TJ

Tj & LadyDi, people after my own heart. Send PM on lot location and price please, might have some friends who are interested.

All - In the 1980's and on, when working for Government, there was bulletins almost monthly about suspect bolts and nets being made substandard, because the Asian influx of then shutting down domestic manufacturers. To my knowledge that issue has not gone away. All Major American corporations use overseas manufacturing for lots of stuff. You cannot go into Walmart nor Costco and find very many USA made domestic items. Looking for blueberries frozen, 2lb bag, Chili, we cannot grow blueberries in the USA????

We do NOT purchase from China if we know ahead of time, personal decision. Did get solar powered motion lights for new shed (located away from our present lot) but have not installed them yet, made in China. Bought some Bamboo towels on Amazon, they never tell you where stuff is made, China. Not sure the towels are going to live up to the hype.

I have a solution. This is a controversial solution, and therefore not everyone will do it.

There are those that will post EPA stories of people being fined. There are those that will talk about warranty issues or other legal issues. For those that are too concerned about those things, I strongly suggest that you do not proceed with the solution I am talking about.

For those that are sick of the threat of being stranded, and the loss of performance for a vehicle that you purchased and paid good money for, I present to you a complete solution.

Yes, you are at risk for voiding your warranty, but only if you do something stupid. Done properly, no one can tell what was done.

The process involves tuning your ECM/ECU to remove the SCR/EGR/DPF profile settings. There are *many* ways to do this. There are several programmers on the market to for the DYI, which is the route I am most familiar with. There is also the Delete as a service (or online) method, such as this site: Cummins ISX DEF SCR EGR DPF delete | ECM TuneUPs

You will need to backup your settings before you apply the new tune. This backup is very important as you will restore this before you take your RV to cummins, freightliner, spartan, etc. Anyone that is going to plug into your ECM will potentially see the modified program, so you do not want it to be seen. Always restore before taking it in.

This is a 5 minute job, and involves a laptop, a connection cable, and software.

Performance tuners are not new. They have been used on Dodge/Jeep/Chevrolet/Ford/Ram/BMW/Toyota, etc for years. All performance tunes backup the settings and tell you to restore before going to the dealer.

After the software is installed, you then remove all SCR/EGR/DPF/DEF cables--leaving the sensors in place. Finally, you need to reroute the exhaust around the first filter, and out a new muffler. This is a key part to being able to go back to original. You want to ensure that if you have a problem on the side of the road, you can easily restore your RV to the factory original settings and exhaust flow.

WIth the DPF filter bypassed, you will want to plug the ends, as most of the time this is just going to be hanging around doing nothing at all. You don't want birds building nests in there.

Finally, drain your DEF tank, and store it bone dry. If you need to take it into cummins, you can worry about grabbing some and putting in fresh DEF before you take it in.

I know have several coaches running in this configuration, under factory warranty. Although I have not done this personally, I am now convinced that this is a solid plan and will be keeping this in mind for the future.

Don't forget--if this offends you, or scares you in any way, it is very simple to just not make any changes and keep driving your RV the way it is.

Redbaron, thank you for the information. Personally just NOT going to take chance it will work as advertised. At my age, just too much work. Good luck to those who take the plunge. You might get better power and mileage from this process.

Latest resources

Back