• Commercial/Vendors welcome

OTR Diagnostics, DEF, Derate Faults

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There is a solution to the Def head. The sensor is using the CAN bus to send a signal that the DEF is proper mixture, and the levels are good. This can be faked. There are many companies that create this type of device, although mainly for the 1 ton diesel truck market, it does also run on the larger OTR trucks.

If it is used along with an actual DEF and DPF in place, there is nothing illegal about it. The fix will just allow the def head to be ignored, and the system will continue to use the DEF fluid.

I have not personally done this :censored:, but I do know that this is possible.
What have you read? Very curious about this. RV is at Cummins now for several issues but also have that pesky 4 bars to LOW DEF in 1 minute issue . Sounds like a failed sensor since tank was over half full. Where can I go to study up on this?

My suggestion would be along the lines of def delete and dpf delete.

It would not be appropriate to link to those sites here since the EPA deems this as illegal in all cases, and treats web sites hosting the information very harshly. You will have to be creative with your research.

The laws, in my interpretation, will allow you to repair a faulty sensor with a dummy sensor, as long as the dpf and def system remain functional. The way to do this is to remove the can connection to the def head and replace with a device that sends good codes.

I am working on such a device and will post up details on how to obtain your own kit.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. I solved it by putting bit of Happy Camper in the water, and let it do its work as the water sifted down. It only took a couple of times before the problem was solved. Judy D
You folks are strong contenders for the “Plumber of the Decade” award! The first dose of Happy Camper slowed the bowl leak a bit. After a second application, it is holding water normally. Thanks for a great solution! I’m running a third treatment cycle just to be sure.

There must have been a bit of…uhhh…well…you know…”residue” in the valve that was preventing it from fully closing. From the HC description, it says it “liquifies waste;” a fairly descriptive but non-offensive term. Apparently, it “liquifies” whatever keeps the toilet bowl valve from fully closing.

Thanks for the help; one less issue to worry about. Do you think HC would fix the AC? Uhhhh, never mind. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

How about some in the engine so when you turn it off..

All - Here is what is going on with supply chain, and part of the problem is the government paying people extra money to sit on their backside at home instead of working.
Today at our Ham Club field day, I sat down and talked to lots of members, drinking coffee, and learned quite a lot.
One of our members is a regional rep for a company which markets equipment for the car racing industry. He said they are not having supply issues, because they, in 2018 knew one of their competitors was going to declare bankruptcy and so they ordered lots of extra stuff to be able to satisfy the market after that. They sold historically high amounts of stuff in 2020, and this year have already passed last years totals, now how does this story relate.

Here is how, companies they have relationships with, and other companies here (my home town*) have had supply issues, why, well the supply chain is still very fractured, but, everything we use, gets to a store by a truck, currently (pre pandemic-shortage of 200,000 drivers for OTH trucks), now unless you are driver and work for Walmart, you might have been furloughed, or just now getting back to work. PLUS, containers needed on ships returning to far east are in short supply, stuck all over the place with no trucks to haul them back to the seaports, why. Simply, the workers are home making more money sitting on their backside than they can make by driving truck. Plus, many drivers are just now being called back to work, and if you were a private/owner operator, you may not have the contacts left or working to get loads to haul. Then we had the pipeline hack, thousand of loads sat, because no fuel for east coast transportation. That has ended, but the backlog is just now clearing. I went to Walmart today, they have their own trucking fleet, the shelves are 40% empty, and shortages of lots of things are in play. Frozen blueberries normally in stock, out, yeah the Toilet Paper, paper towels, et-all is now in stock, but lots of things are backordered or in long supply chain system and stuck someplace.

Then you had the idiots on the west coast shutting down whole states, ports closed for 3 months, thousands of ships unable to unload cargo, that is now over, but just. So, having DEF heads on a 747 is all well and good, that plane has to land at a "customs port of entry", and the load has to be inspected (customs inspectors-COVID-not working for while) , then those same parts need to be placed on a truck, and taken to points of distribution, which then sends to end user/retailer/business. If that load needs a truck, then it's "get in line, a very long broken line"

Personal experience, I ordered power supply and SWR meter in February 2021, they arrived two weeks ago. Kenwood has back order on the power cable/RS-292 serial cable and I ordered that in March, no delivery date has been provided. The whole world's supply and delivery system has been broken, and it may be middle of next year before things are back to normal, and all those "things" depend on some method of a delivery vehicle, i.e., truck of some type. *One local restaurant here, had to close early one day last week, did not have food to serve, no truck drivers to deliver. We ordered a new TV in December 11, 2020, it arrived at Costco on Jan 12, shipped to delivery station, and they could not tell me when it was going to be delivered, this was end of January, we canceled order, and Costco was pissed, but I aint waiting for over a month, because a TV is the least important thing on my to do list.

The list of things in short supply, is too long to list here, couple with higher fuel prices, shortage of drivers of all types for commercial vehicles, and well, if you have not figured it out by now, you wont. Report after report about shortages in auto industry says it may be mid 2022 before their production lines are working per normal, chips for many pieces of automobiles are in short supply. Blah, blah, blah, and on and on.

And, although I am not experiencing issues, knowing, of this issue will not derail any trips we have planned. If I had coach with codes showing, again, depending on where I was heading, and how far the rig might have to be towed would have bearing on trip. And although, I hate the thought of lawyers getting involved, my guess is, Spartan/Freightliner et-all cannot be held libel for "the supply chain to be broken and parts although on order, unable to be delivered". Yes, this has been a known problem since long before 2018, at least as longs as the DEF required pollution equipment has been on vehicles, Remember, it has taken almost 10 years for the market to be penetrated deeply enough for the engineering and design of this part to show up as defective or at least in suspect quality. As much as I want all our manufacturing brought home, I never will live in a perfect world. As long as "money talks and BS walks" is the watchword, manufacturers are going to source parts from the cheapest place, be that china or the USA. The only way this will stop, is for all of us to stop buying "made in china", and inform any and all places we do business with, it's made in USA, or Europe or we will not buy it.

Last edited:
FWIW-Old MH had automatic waste tank dump valves. Was told by manufacturer that powdered tank chemical unless mixed up real well, would cause the valve to not close properly due to residue. So now I use pure power liquid (till I run out) and then going to the tablets of the same stuff. Several folks told me, that when RV come into a shop with the "pile of poop" in the tank, that pure power is what they use to break up the stuff and get the tank cleaned. As our coach just turned 2 years old, week ago, and we have only 15,000 miles, the toilet works fine, although the BH hates the thing. In old one, it was the foot pedal type, and I had to change several parts when it would not hold water in the bowl. That was at the 10 year point. Those parts were in the neighborhood of 100 dollars and I did the take down, replace parts and reassemble myself. Not a job I would want to do over. As DJ stated, "stuff must get hung up" someplace in the macerator pipe. I believe the bowl, and motor/blade/etc., parts are a separate parts, and the bowl can be removed fairly easily. Again, I HAVE NOT looked into this, but do have manuals which I have attached herein for those adventurous folks.

Attachments

• 8700 Series MasterFlush Macerator Dometic Installation Manual.pdf
    266.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8700 Series MasterFlush Macerator Dometic Operation Manual.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 10
My suggestion would be along the lines of def delete and dpf delete.

It would not be appropriate to link to those sites here since the EPA deems this as illegal in all cases, and treats web sites hosting the information very harshly. You will have to be creative with your research.

The laws, in my interpretation, will allow you to repair a faulty sensor with a dummy sensor, as long as the dpf and def system remain functional. The way to do this is to remove the can connection to the def head and replace with a device that sends good codes.

I am working on such a device and will post up details on how to obtain your own kit.
That would be cool to figure this out Ronnie! Thanks for offering to share and by the way a very nice Jeep!

This just became a very high priority for me due to a recent decision...I blame ARD for leading me down a very costly path.

Latest resources

Back