• Commercial/Vendors welcome

OTR Diagnostics, DEF, Derate Faults

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
UPDATE: Received call from Spartan. They will not send me a DEF head until I derate and have stop engine light. They have advised that I should leave my campground now in the event that I do derate and am on the side of the road, they will still have a DEF head to send. If I wait until my departure date of July 10th and I derate, they will not have any DEF heads to send. ?
Good grief!! Ridiculous to the extreme. Send the customer out on the road to wait for a dangerous over the road derate…..that is just dumb!
Maybe your earlier thoughts of heading near a repair facility might be your best bet. Perhaps they could help you get a stop engine light to appear.

So what does a fulltimer do? Stop RVing? Much less anyone...I can't imagine driving on a ticking time bomb! This is not a new problem, as I've been reading this has been going on with Shaw DEF heads since 2018. Who is covering the tow? Who is going to pay for your hotel room? I think Spartan/Shaw needs to be ready to accommodate both.

If you don't have a Garmin inReach you better get one. I know @ARD does, better have it charged up and understand how to use it. I'm going to post an article on this soon as I just watched a webinar on the inReach for my aviation use but it applies the very same to RVers. It's your backup should you break down and not have cellular.

Yes this situation is getting more ridiculous by the day. In @ARD’s case they are asking her to drive over the Rockies where you have steep grades, narrow roads and few turnouts to get off the road. Wonder what attorneys for Spartan would think about this advice? I think I would have Spartan document their advice in writing since it was discussed on phone, that way I would have it for the upcoming lawsuit ?

Yes this situation is getting more ridiculous by the day. In @ARD’s case they are asking her to drive over the Rockies where you have steep grades, narrow roads and few turnouts to get off the road. Wonder what attorneys for Spartan would think about this advice? I think I would have Spartan document their advice in writing since it was discussed on phone, that way I would have it for the upcoming lawsuit ?
It's documented here ;)

Our son is the logistics manager for an international company that imports a lot of equipment from China. He says the cost of container shipping has increased more than ten-fold...if you can even find a container available in China to ship your imports in.

This is a very bad situation for Spartan, and Spartan-chassis owners. It is apparently time to park our coaches with a Spartan chassis. We are seriously thinking of doing so...permanently.

TJ

You would think they would be able to come up with some kind of work around until they can get more DEF Heads

Our son is the logistics manager for an international company that imports a lot of equipment from China. He says the cost of container shipping has increased more than ten-fold...if you can even find a container available in China to ship your imports in.

This is a very bad situation for Spartan, and Spartan-chassis owners. It is apparently time to park our coaches with a Spartan chassis. We are seriously thinking of doing so...permanently.

TJ
Seems to me a 747 could hold an awful lot of DEF Heads. Far more than they likely need. Sometimes that’s the cost of doing business.

Seems to me a 747 could hold an awful lot of DEF Heads. Far more than they likely need. Sometimes that’s the cost of doing business.
It all comes down to communication (or lack thereof) from Spartan. What is the real problem? There is mass hysteria going on now with people insulating or heat shielding DEF tanks, people thinking they need to keep DEF tanks full, that means 11 gallons is unusable? Bulk vs. Boxed DEF? When in the end, this issue likely has ZERO relation to the actual DEF but is a software or sensor issue. With that said, the sensors are probably having the same issue as me trying to get a graphics (GPU) card for my computer. Not sure if it's a Japan or China issue or a transportation issue. We are all speculating but in the end Spartan owes their dealers and customers FACTS.

It all comes down to communication (or lack thereof) from Spartan. What is the real problem? There is mass hysteria going on now with people insulating or heat shielding DEF tanks, people thinking they need to keep DEF tanks full, that means 11 gallons is unusable? Bulk vs. Boxed DEF? When in the end, this issue likely has ZERO relation to the actual DEF but is a software or sensor issue. With that said, the sensors are probably having the same issue as me trying to get a graphics (GPU) card for my computer. Not sure if it's a Japan or China issue or a transportation issue. We are all speculating but in the end Spartan owes their dealers and customers FACTS.
All true. It is surprising how reasonable my customers become when I actually explain a technical issue to them and why it’s not simple to fix. A little transparency goes an awful long way.

Latest resources

Back