Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
We were “under sail” today with the MADP. :oops: Pulling into a TA in Oregon this morning, we were followed by a trucker frantically waving out his window and blowing his air horn. Our Girard awning had deployed at speed and when we pulled in, it brushed one of the canopy supports and started to fold up. Luckily, we were moving slowly and there is no visible damage, It retracted fully, so hope it is OK.

Scary moment! I have pulled power to the awning per Erika at Newmar, so we are back on the road. From now on, I will ALWAYS pull power to it when we move the coach.

TJ

WOW! Very nice of that trucker and hopefully saved your Girard. I can imagine who I'd be calling if I was you and giving a piece of your mind. I believe others such as @CaptainGizmo are pulling power whenever they travel. That is just insane! Glad you saved it!

Ok, that’s hosed up. I don’t understand how that awning isn’t shredded. Is this a reported problem with Girards? By pulling power, are you talking about throwing a breaker?

I actually added switched sockets to the plugs where the Girards plug in in the third bay p/s. This makes it easy to switch the sockets live when I want to deploy the awnings. I did this several months ago after reading about several instances of awnings being deployed while moving. The thread was on irv2 quite some time ago. One person, if I recall, installed smart sockets so he could turn them on with his iPhone.

I actually added switched sockets to the plugs where the Girards plug in in the third bay p/s. This makes it easy to switch the sockets live when I want to deploy the awnings. I did this several months ago after reading about several instances of awnings being deployed while moving. The thread was on irv2 quite some time ago. One person, if I recall, installed smart sockets so he could turn them on with his iPhone.

That is a mod we are definitely going to make!!!

TJ

Glad to hear no damage. Scary.

I have been pulling the plug on the controllers for over a year, after I passed a Dutch Star on the side of I–15 by Cedar City, UT with the rear awning deployed and hanging to the ground.

Ok, that’s hosed up. I don’t understand how that awning isn’t shredded. Is this a reported problem with Girards? By pulling power, are you talking about throwing a breaker?
We haven’t yet been able to fully check the awning out, but it appears to be OK. At least, it fully retracted and has stayed there for 250 miles.

To remove power, we were advised to pull a plug from a standard 120V receptacle in a cargo bay. The red LED on the control box went out, indicating that power had been turned off.

TJ

Glad to hear no damage. Scary.

I have been pulling the plug on the controllers for over a year, after I passed a Dutch Star on the side of I–15 by Cedar City, UT with the rear awning deployed and hanging to the ground.
Hi, Bill. Where are you folks these days? Any chance of a Polson visit?

TJ

We are in Livingston, MT for May, then to St Regis and then need to headed back to California late June. Unfortunately I don’t think we will make it to Polson this year. Hope you have a good stay this year without any further issues.

You and Lisa will be missed in Polson! How long will you be at St. Regis? We have friends that live not too far from St. Regis...Superior.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back