• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Time to buy tires

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
OK. Order placed with Motorhometires.com for 6 Toyo tires to be installed at my home - both steer and drive tires - with 2 more being shipped to NIRVC. I have confirmed with NIRVC that they will hold them for me when I get there. I have moved up my Rettroband install from March to October when I will head down there and get the work done. I am also having them install new valve stem extenders for my inner drive tire.

Centramatics should arrive by the end of the week and the first 6 tires should be installed next week.

I will let you know how it goes.
Rich

It sounds like someone is sticking around :)

I have an idea for a Christmas gift for Patty. Secret....

Amazon product ASIN B007FJMAT8
So what was the cost of the Toyo's?

Where did you get the Centramatics and how much did they cost? I see you can get them on Amazon but otherwise seems you have to buy from whomever is going to install them so they get a cut on the product and the installation.

LOL. I think we are sticking around....but figured I need to get new tires anyway. Can't sell it like it is. We have a trip coming up to DeerSprings... We will see how we feel about it.

Total cost for 8 tires (6 installed, 2 others shipped to a different destination) was $7,652.00. The 6 tires with install is $5,622.00 of it. The balance is just 2 tires and shipping... They say the tires should be installed by late next week at the latest.

I bought the Centramics from Florida Shores Truck Center who had the same pricing as Amazon and free shipping. I got that recommendation from Dutch Star Don. Plus I like to give some business to someone else besides Amazon. :) 6 will be installed when the guy comes to install the tires...and the last two by NIRVC. Centramatics should be here by Friday or Monday.

Remember, we only hear the bad stories (about anything) and not the good ones. What are the real statistics? How many thousands of tires are out there (on RV's) and how many of those are experiencing a failure? Same with cars, trucks, etc. It happens, but what is the real statistical value of this event? (reaching for optimism...)
As I traveled down I-40 today in AZ, I looked for a stretch of road that tire gators had gone extinct. I am here to tell you I found more road with than without!!! So like Neal said! It ain't just RVers that loose tires.

Truckers avoid running over those gators, do you? The steel in them poke holes in tires, thus the reason they have that nickname.

Not to sound like a broken record, but!!!

The tire lining is a different compound than used on the rest of the tire, by design. Commercial trucks put more miles on in a year than most RVs see in their life cycle.

That said the lining is less permeable than the rest of the tire. When it ages the possibility increases that air can become trapped between the liner and the rest of the rubber. The biggest weak link is the reinforcement is difficult to permeate, so they separated. When air passes the liner but not the other rubber components you get a bubble. This making any sense???

Because nitrogen is larger, than oxygen, there is less chance that gasses will be trapped in the belts of the tire. Simple question? How often do you need to pull out the compressor??? Where does the air go???

These are the things I ponder in my always sleeping mind!!!

I bought the Centramics from Florida Shores Truck Center
When I reached out over email I was put in touch with them too but for whatever reason they were not responsive and I could not get an answer on how to order them direct to me. I recently replied again and the VP/Marketing guy for Centramatics reached out to me directly, gave me the part numbers, how to get them, etc. My thought has been to put them on AFTER FL Gaffney installs the tires so they are forced to balance the tires properly and not rely on the Centramatics. After this time I will go to a T/A or somewhere and have them installed, if needed, but most likely.

@Richpatty,
I am also having them install new valve stem extenders for my inner drive tire.
Check out duallyvalves, they are single piece steel valve stems for the inners that extend all the way out so you can air up more easily. I had those installed after the valve extender fiasco with FL and have had no issues since then.

@Richpatty,

Check out duallyvalves, they are single piece steel valve stems for the inners that extend all the way out so you can air up more easily. I had those installed after the valve extender fiasco with FL and have had no issues since then.
Thanks! Will take a look.

Looking at the specs for the 2024 DSDP it appears that the Steers are a larger size than the drives. Steers. This should be interesting to manage over their lifetime. 315/80R steers vs 2?? Something on the drives.

Yea….one nice thing about the Ventanas… all tires one size.

Looking at the specs for the 2024 DSDP it appears that the Steers are a larger size than the drives. Steers. This should be interesting to manage over their lifetime. 315/80R steers vs 2?? Something on the drives.
Forced compliance!!! Steers, and drive, are built differently, stops the universal tire thing.
I would hate that!!!

Latest resources

Back