RV Model
Arctic Wolf 271RK
RV Length
30 ft
TOW/TOAD
2013 Chevy Silerado 2500HD B&W Turnover Ball, Andedrson Ultimate Hitch
Fulltimer
No
For those of you who ask (Why a Small Motor Home) I wrote a article on my Blog explaining why we went to a small 25 ft Motor home and the advantages.
See the link below.
Mel
Why a Small Motor Home ? or CLICK HERE

Nice write up - we’ve been having this same conservation lately and we are only at 35’, Our concerns also include the complexity of certain systems, and the cost of maintenance and repairs. I’d miss my resi-fridge, washer and dryer, basement storage, large kitchen, and my 87” long couch, but I would like to be able to get in to older small primitive campgrounds that are not an option now.

For those of you who ask (Why a Small Motor Home) I wrote a article on my Blog explaining why we went to a small 25 ft Motor home and the advantages.
See the link below.
Mel
Why a Small Motor Home ? or CLICK HERE
We did our homework back in 2011 when we purchased ours. The shortest we could find then was a 28 foot but it fit our bill very well. It is built to fit two people and a dog. No room for grand kits etc. Many of the reasons you noted were ours too. Enjoy our home on wheels.

Darrell

Mel- I read your write up. It was exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you.

My wife and I are in our 60s. We did the travel trailer thing, but it just wasn't for us. I never got comfortable pulling the ~30' travel trailer with a nearly 20' truck. Now we are looking for a drivable. I had only been looking at Class Cs until I noticed these small Class As.

Could you please elaborate on one of your points in the write up?
"I can get into almost any campground or camping spot. I can park almost anywhere. No need to pull a Toad unless I want to."

I am still concerned about driving even a small class A in traffic much less towing something. Is it really possible to travel with this and use this to get around at a destination? How would that work?

Mel- I read your write up. It was exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you.

My wife and I are in our 60s. We did the travel trailer thing, but it just wasn't for us. I never got comfortable pulling the ~30' travel trailer with a nearly 20' truck. Now we are looking for a drivable. I had only been looking at Class Cs until I noticed these small Class As.

"I can get into almost any campground or camping spot. I can park almost anywhere. No need to pull a Toad unless I want to."

I am still concerned about driving even a small class A in traffic much less towing something. Is it really possible to travel with this and use this to get around at a destination? How would that work?
if you have the type of class A that has hook ups, like electricity, water, sewer, then you have to unhook all that to go to the grocery store or go sightseeing. Plus, put something in your site (hope it’s not stolen) to reserve your spot ….in some campgrounds someone might just take the site…Also, We are tall people and I think there’s a point, for us, where it begins to feel less like Glamping and more like camping. We like our 35 footer - it’s as small as I want to go, mainly because of the bed. our is a queen and I would wish for king. There are such things in 35 footers but we’re fine. I also cook a lot - and like my kitchen. Our bathroom is very small - afraid that would be a problem, but it’s been fine.
We have lived in our motorhome for up to three months at a time and we’re quite comfortable. The only thing I missed was my piano…I would consider taking my keyboard - but there’s no place to stash it.
I have looked at smaller class As and Cs, and even class B, but I note the tiny sink in the kitchen, the one or two burner cook area, full beds tucked in the corner (which is totally unacceptable to my beanpole), wet showers and the cheap looking cabinetry. Not to mention the uncomfortable ride. our motorhome is essentially our summer home.
I do most of the driving and when I get on the road, I relax, drive courteously I try to avoid annoying other drivers : keeping to the right lane, avoiding blockading, changing lines slowly, and thinking well and advance, using signals wisely. and never being in a hurry keeping it to 250 miles a day or less, and unless it’s some really open area like West Texas… or southern Wyoming on an interstate… I don’t find it stressful at all. In fact, I find it more relaxing than a car to drive.
I have been so comfortable in this 35 footer and our previous motorhome was 36.5 feet that I have considered upgrading to 38 feet, but I find that the higher you go in size the more everything costs and the more difficult you are to accommodate …. Even our storage facility - our previous 36 1/2 footer barely squeezed in. But our 35 footer fits in with room to spare.

I would suggest that you rent or test drive a small class A 25 ft or less and drive it in the city in traffic and on the open road. The Thor Axis for me is no chore in traffic you have side view cameras on both side mirrors and a backup camera to see what is behind you. With the big panoramic windshield you have a wide angle view in front of you. It is easy to drive in and out of traffic. We don't tow anything if we are going camping for a couple of days. However on long trips of a couple of weeks or more we tow a 2007 Honda CR-V which is light and small. No problem towing the honda. Can unhook it in less than 2 minutes. About 5 minutes to hook it up and go. We stay in a lot of camping spots and rv parks where you have to back in the spaces. being as short as we are we can fit in most anywhere with no problem. parking at stores Like walmart is no problem even when towing. I am 85 years old and plan on RVing as long as it is safe for me to do so. Hope i've helped you. Mel

The Thor Axis is exactly one of the models I really liked the looks of. Are you aware of any issues known issues with these short Class As?

We are planning a trip this Spring. I think I will rent one.

The Thor Axis is exactly one of the models I really liked the looks of. Are you aware of any issues known issues with these short Class As?

We are planning a trip this Spring. I think I will rent one.
I've not had any problems, but others have. Most of the new ones 2020 to 2022 were made very cheaply and most had many problems all brands and even high end rv's. I am not aware of any special problems with the Axis Class A's. Renting one is a good idea. Some don't like the small size and especially the small bathroom and shower. There are a few people who live in them full time. I would not be one of them because of space limitations. But for 2 weeks at a time or camping I don't think they can be beat. Also the winnabago View has a simular design and the same length although it costs more money. Just my 02 cents worth.
Mel

Latest resources

Back