• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
Scenario:
Retired, $60,000 purchase budget, plus $20k reserve for maintenance/repair.

Anticipated RVing style:
Full time solo, most often 300 miles max between campgrounds, then 1 to 4 weeks at a spot with full hookups, occasional dry camping for 2 or 3 days.

Want a living space with dinette, plus recliner/"theatre seat", plus either Murphy or fixed bed.

Considering:
* 26+/- trailer pulled by a capable 1/2 pickup (total ~45'), $25k for 3 year old trailer and $35k for 2 to 3 year old truck,
versus
* 30+/- Class A pulling a small toad (total ~45'), $50k for a 5 to 8 year old Class A, and $10k for a small toad.

Which setup would be most useful for my proposed use case and why, considering convenience and comfort both driving and camped.

You might consider a well maintained Airstream trailer. With long stays and short trips a pull behind might make more sense.

You might consider a well maintained Airstream trailer. With long stays and short trips a pull behind might make more sense.
A "well-maintained" Airstream would have to be either much older than 3 years old, or much more expensive than $25k, right? And I don't believe they are known for being "lite"? So a 3/4 ton truck would add another $10k or a couple years older than 3 years. Please correct me if I'm ill-informed.

We elected to go for truck and trailer for the flexibility to go on various adventures while stationed at a campsite. We've had a couple times camping with my wife's car and trying to find a hiking trail and we had to turn back while on a fire road. There's also the practicality of having a truck for day to day life. I'm not hauling lumber or eavestrough in my car any more.

If you are going to be living full time in a travel trailer, in my opinion you want as sturdy and well built unit as possible. Most Travel trailers are built to be used lightly on weekends with the occasional two week trip to a destination.
Travel trailers that are used for full time travel suffer many problems. Frame issues, suspension issues, as well as basic house construction issues.
Cheap is never less costly than a better quality unit, again in my opinion.
In this market you may find a good deal on a lightly used unit, but you will need to look hard for it.
Search RV Frame issues, the Web is littered with stories of catastrophic issues.
A good friend purchased a high quality 5th wheel. After a few years of snowbird trips he got stuck in AL far from home with a broken frame. A new frame cost him several weeks and more than the value of the 5th wheel. Luckily for him he was able to pay for the frame and continue on his trip.
If you are very handy you might find a fixer that fits your perimeters.

Scenario:

Anticipated RVing style:
Full time solo, most often 300 miles max between campgrounds, then 1 to 4 weeks at a spot with full hookups, occasional dry camping for 2 or 3 days.

Want a living space with dinette, plus recliner/"theatre seat", plus either Murphy or fixed bed.

Considering:
* 26+/- trailer pulled by a capable 1/2 pickup (total ~45'), $25k for 3 year old trailer and $35k for 2 to 3 year old truck,
versus
* 30+/- Class A pulling a small toad (total ~45'), $50k for a 5 to 8 year old Class A, and $10k for a small toad.

Which setup would be most useful for my proposed use case and why, considering convenience and comfort both driving and camped.
We full time and travel North America. We consist of me, my wife and a small dog. We have a smaller Class A and pull a Jeep. For us it is very convenient combination as we rarely stay put longer than a week or ten days. We can be decamped and ready to go in a matter of minutes if we want. When we stop for a break or at the end of a travel day, our living space is already the correct temperature so we don't have to wait for A/C to cool or heat to warm it before we can settle down and relax. We do a lot of back country hiking and rock hounding so the Jeep is a good fit for us.

For your situation I would suggest a "well built" trailer and a tow vehicle suited to the size and weight of your tow.

Good luck with your search and safe travels.

Darrell

I recently posted a silverliner that I found for a friend. If I had to choose between that very old trailer 56' and something only a few years old, that 56' would be my pick!

Fact is I told em that I wanted first pick if they ever sold it! Don't expect I will come across another one in that condition for less than 100,000.00 . Would I expect to find one worth buying? Yes, I had one 20 years ago that I regret getting rid of.

I pulled the thing home, all 28 foot of it behind my 1/2 ton without even needing my equalizer hitch. Aircraft construction is lightweight, and handles the wind very well!!! Take Joe's advice!!!

Scenario:

Anticipated RVing style:

Considering:
versus

We went with the class A and a toad. We really like the idea of being able to use the space while we are on the road. If we want to prepare a snack or a lunch it is all right there and we can easily access. If we need to use the facilities they are right there for us. We travel with two dogs and it gives. We bought our rig used it 40' Coachman Encore 40TS diesel pusher.
IMG_2193[1].JPG
them more room as well. It is really all your personal choice. We tow a F150 SuperCrew. Good luck and enjoy. Whatever you do make sure you make a list of you absolute needs and what would be nice to have and build a spreadsheet of available rigs that might your requirements,

We went with the class A and a toad. We really like the idea of being able to use the space while we are on the road. If we want to prepare a snack or a lunch it is all right there and we can easily access. If we need to use the facilities they are right there for us. We travel with two dogs and it gives. We bought our rig used it 40' Coachman Encore 40TS diesel pusher.View attachment 22629 them more room as well. It is really all your personal choice. We tow a F150 SuperCrew. Good luck and enjoy. Whatever you do make sure you make a list of you absolute needs and what would be nice to have and build a spreadsheet of available rigs that might your requirements,
Yeah, I agree that with a couple or family, a motorhome is worthwhile for the reasons you stated.
However, as a solo person, I can't fix a sandwich or nap while I'm driving anyway, so those benefits are moot.
The biggest challenges for a trailer is to assure all necessities - fridge, bathroom, and bed - are easily accessible in road mode, and that the trailer/tongue weight are well under payload capacity of the tow vehicle.

I've also been researching some of the hitch assist and trailer backup assist packages available especially in the F150. Those features for me would be a necessity, especially for solo travel.

Yes, a spreadsheet. I've been working on an Excel spreadsheet for a couple of months, listing available "couples campers" between 25 and 30'. I haven't done as much with smallish Class A's yet. I'm still debilitating (pun intended.) Hey! I'm living the life without spending anything, yet (except for the Tampa RV Supershow I attended last week.)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back