Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Yes I’m real new at this. When parked at a site with sewer do I still use the “black water” tank and just drain it as needed? If I’m bypassing the tank and plan on staying at the site a couple of weeks will it hurt to have the black tank full with chemicals but not being used?

I don’t understand what you mean by bypassing the black tank. However, I and most others will dump as needed. What you don’t want to do is leave the black tank dump valve open. That causes problems with buildup in the tank.

Welcome, as Neemer mentioned, the tank dump does not bypass the tank. It just empties it. Most people allow the black tank to fill prior to dumping to get the best performance on the dumping evolution. Since the black tank connects to the CG sewer system, and it is possible to get sewer flies back into your onboard system, most keep the black tank dump shut when connected. Many folks with onboard washer/ dryer set ups will open the grey tank drain while doing laundry to prevent overfilling the grey tank. Then shut the dump valves when done with laundry to build volume for assisting in clearing the drain hoses after black tank dump.
The most frequently recommended dumping method is to dump the black tank first, when it is close to full, then use the black tank flushing system (if installed) till clear fluid flows through system, then dump the grey tank prior to disconnecting dump hoses.
Most also add a clear piece of pipe in their connection to the sewer, there are many versions available that connect up to your hoses to give you a sense of the cleanliness of the fluid moving through the connections.

This helps. I thought we just hooked up to the camps sewer and didn’t use our tank when sewer was available. Now I understand we always use the onboard tank. The camp site sewer is so we don’t have to go somewhere to dump.

Love this forum.

Latest resources

Back