• Commercial/Vendors welcome

There goes another diesel manufacturer.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
This is for diesel automobiles, which Volvo has not sold in the US for a few years now.

Will Volvo phase out heavy duty diesel engines and heavy trucks? Sure, but I expect a time table comparable to all the others.

I read a article in a trade publication I subscribe to last month that said the major heavy diesel market is being slow to respond to EVs, which is impacting the inflow of R&D money to further develop EV over the road heavy trucks etc. Timetable to full electrification appears to be slipping by the day. It will happen though.

I doubt they phase out the heavy equipment diesels.

Friend of ours works at a quarry and all their heavy equipment, trucks, etc are Volvo powered.

That has to be a pretty big side of their business.

I doubt they phase out the heavy equipment diesels.

Friend of ours works at a quarry and all their heavy equipment, trucks, etc are Volvo powered.

That has to be a pretty big side of their business.
Probably. But the electric heavy mining equipment market is growing rapidly right now.

It's going to be decades at best for electric to compete with diesel. International is trying with electric medium duty trucks and they are a joke. In 5 years when the batteries need replacing they cost more than the truck is worth. They can't even go 150 miles on a charge. I have solved the problem with my Tesla. Unlimited power... range.... infinity.
Heavy equipment replaced by electric, not in any of our lifetimes. You can't put a hydraulic piece of equipment in "neutral" and tow it to your little charging station. Not easily anyway. I can't keep a battery working on my phone for more than 3 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-191839~2.png
    Screenshot_20230920-191839~2.png
    736.4 KB · Views: 1
It's going to be decades at best for electric to compete with diesel. International is trying with electric medium duty trucks and they are a joke. In 5 years when the batteries need replacing they cost more than the truck is worth. They can't even go 150 miles on a charge. I have solved the problem with my Tesla. Unlimited power... range.... infinity.
Heavy equipment replaced by electric, not in any of our lifetimes. You can't put a hydraulic piece of equipment in "neutral" and tow it to your little charging station. Not easily anyway. I can't keep a battery working on my phone for more than 3 years.
Hard to say. Locally class 6-8 trucks are commonly being replaced by electrics. They are usually used in a delivery capacity between the local cities. They generally charge them overnight on L2 J1772 chargers set up in the depot/warehouse parking lot. Once in awhile we see them parked at the local Tim Hortons DC fast charger sucking up a few electrons while the driver gets lunch.

Anyway. They sell them as fast they build them so no lack of custumers.

Here is a couple pics of one at the local DC fast charger down the street from us. Kinda cool. Some of them have reefer configurations.

8B5C2356-BD05-40DD-9062-7F8C0C42969B.jpeg

Where do you live? I have never seen any of them shenanigans, ever, anywhere I've been. I guess they charge you per kW?

Latest resources

Back