Palazzo
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins diesel
Fulltimer
No
Needing to replace the coach batteries on my Palazzo. Currently 4 - deep cycle 6 volt batteries. Replace with the same or is an upgrade worth considering?

Needing to replace the coach batteries on my Palazzo. Currently 4 - deep cycle 6 volt batteries. Replace with the same or is an upgrade worth considering?
What kind of batteries are in the coach now and how many AH is each battery? I just replace my original batteries with 8 of these. Each of these has 235 AH storage for a total of 940 AH.

The original batteries only had 75 AH of storage, for a total of 300 AH. These are pretty pricy, but they are AGM battery's and they were almost exactly the same size as the ones I was replacing. So it make for a plug/play upgrade with triple the AH storage.

If Lead Acid, I would definitely move up to at least AGM as Jim mentioned above. If you feel like you will be boondocking a bit - and will be owning the rig for some time, Lithium's can be worth the investment. But get rid of the vented batteries...as they can corrode the compartment and just generally make a mess. My 2 cents.

@Richpatty made some incredible changes when he upgraded the batteries in his coach. And while he went further than most of us will ever go, the data that he shared with us along the way can be very helpful. I would suggest you read through the following thread as there is good info to be gleaned.

Move to Lithium

Thank you all for your responses. I am new to the RV world and to this forum, and, still learning both many things about our motorhome and how to best negotiate on this Forum. To answer Jim's question, I currently have 4 Crown deep cycle 6 volt batteries, model CR-235, AH rating: 235 (20HR), and 190(5HR). Forgive me, but Im not sure what all of that means. They are, I believe, lead/acid batteries. Thanks again everyone, and Happy New Year!

These are lead acid (as are AGMs) but these are vented and you have to make sure they are maintained with water levels, etc. AGMs are more maintenance free.

AH is short for Amp hours and is a measurement of battery capacity which makes it easier to compare like batteries.

I know a member put together a post/doc about batteries which will help you, but I cannot find it. Will keep looking.

@Neal or @redbaron?

It may be easiest to replace with the same you have.

I've read about people using mineral oil in lead acid batteries. Finally met someone who's been RVing for decades and has been using mineral oil in his 6 volt golf cart batteries for years. He takes out 3 oz of electrolyte from of each cell and replaces with regular mineral oil. I've read of using 2 to 4 oz per cell. He tried using 2 oz in the past and it wasn't quite enough. He very rarely has to add water, it greatly reduces gassing off and keeps the battery tray clean from rust. His current lead acid batteries are 8yrs old. I'm now thinking of going this route when the time comes.

My first Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery choice here did not end as well here as I expected though it was not in an RV or travel trailer application. I bought a 75 amp-hour capacity battery from a Chinese EBay company called "Hailong" and it did not last longer than about eight months - now quite dead. And this was in a benign indoor amateur "ham radio" application with a properly set up LiFePO4 charge controller.

Maybe Hailong is not such a good manufacturer? IDK.

Rick

I've read about people using mineral oil in lead acid batteries. Finally met someone who's been RVing for decades and has been using mineral oil in his 6 volt golf cart batteries for years. He takes out 3 oz of electrolyte from of each cell and replaces with regular mineral oil. I've read of using 2 to 4 oz per cell. He tried using 2 oz in the past and it wasn't quite enough. He very rarely has to add water, it greatly reduces gassing off and keeps the battery tray clean from rust. His current lead acid batteries are 8yrs old. I'm now thinking of going this route when the time comes.
I added mineral oil to mine a few years ago. I think it worked for a while and probably needs to be refreshed every two years as I'm still putting in a gallon or two of distilled water per year across 8 batteries. I use the flow rite watering system which makes it easier:

Latest resources

Back