Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Class A motorhome tire replacement .....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

skychs

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3636
RV Length
I just got off the phone talking to Michelin. The reason for the call ... I was getting ready to buy new tires and I wanted to go over and review the tire pressure charts based on weight. Long story short .... when he found out my tires were six years old he wanted to know why I was buying new. He specifically asked about sidewall cracking (which I have very little if any) and history of the vehicle. He said he wasn't trying to talk me out of new tires but I would be wasting my money. He said "unless you can get your finger nail into the sidewall cracks you can run Michelin tires up to 10 years". I know and understand the industry says 5 years but this is straight from Michelin. Is it possible the industry is too aggressive when it comes to tires? Tire failures are typically from over and/or under pressure. Road debris is another factor. Both of those situations however would destroy a new tire just as easily as an older tire. IMHO if we all bought the cheapest and least expensive tires 5 years may be appropriate but its hard to believe a quality tire like a Michelin or Goodyear is only good for 5 years. Over the years I hope tire quality has improved. Maybe it's time to extend the industries 5 year recommendation on tires.?.?.?

I replace the steer tires at 6 years. The others I replace between year 7 and 8. Never had sidewall cracking.
My last coach only had new fronts before I sold it and the buyer is in year 8 now with the rears planning on 1 more year.

For tires that are quality and are well within their weight/load specifications - I am of the opinion that RV history is causing people to replace tires much too soon. Like oil changes used to be every 3,000 miles but oil has improved, tire technology has also improved, making tires last much longer.

Of course we each need to make our own decision and live with the consequences. I am not warranting anyone’s tires, this is just my opinion.

Like the poster above I will probably replace my steering tires a little sooner than the rears since the steering are critical and do not have any redundancy built in like the rear axles (we have 8 tires on the tandem axles in the rear + the 2 steering)

We plan to make our rears last the 10 years that Michelin says they should be good for, but will be monitoring the condition along the way.

My $0.02,
Speaking with a tire technician and owner of a local family (several generations) owned truck tire shop recently regarding tires; if the tires are well cared for and, if stored, stored inside, out of the elements (sun is detrimental as is wet, high moisture levels. Water does invade the tire carcass and rusts the steel belts. This rusting causes swelling and the tread to separate).
The tires should last 10 years.
However, as has been discussed ad nauseum, if you do see cracks in the sidewalls, best to have the tires closely inspected by a truck tire professional.
As has been said before by others, I personally will also change out the steers, replacing the tires with the highest wear first.

Thanks for your input. Im thrilled to see more and more owners push pass the 5 year mark on good tires with positive results.

I have an appointment at Freightliner down in Gaffney SC in June. While they are completing a chassis service I will get them to inspect the tires. So far ... everyone who has inspected them has said keep rolling.

Thanks for your input. Im thrilled to see more and more owners push pass the 5 year mark on good tires with positive results.

I have an appointment at Freightliner down in Gaffney SC in June. While they are completing a chassis service I will get them to inspect the tires. So far ... everyone who has inspected them has said keep rolling.
If you would like to be told how crazy you are, and given lots of dooms day predictions -- I have a site for that I can refer you to :)

When in AZ do as they do in AZ! Sun is really bad on tires. And steel belts are really bad on wheel wells. I'm kinda think'in that tps is an answer for the call for longer tire life. Would I push past 5 years? Yes with tps installed, no without it.

When in AZ do as they do in AZ! Sun is really bad on tires. And steel belts are really bad on wheel wells. I'm kinda think'in that tps is an answer for the call for longer tire life. Would I push past 5 years? Yes with tps installed, no without it.
I added a TPMS for just that reason.

I have not heard the five year rule. What is the source for that?

I’ve replaced tires twice, each at the seven year mark. I’ve never had the sidewall cracks, but I have destroyed a brand new Michelin hitting a dadgummed pothole.

I have not heard the five year rule. What is the source for that?

I’ve replaced tires twice, each at the seven year mark. I’ve never had the sidewall cracks, but I have destroyed a brand new Michelin hitting a dadgummed pothole.
Not really a rule. Some studies have shown that number of most failures are from 5 years on, and increased rates as they get older. Don't know the source of the studies.

Latest resources

Back