Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
About a year ago, after reading of all the failures, I ordered a spare pump from ITR. Sure enough, after two years of light use, I had to replace the summer loop pump on my last trip. Sure glad I had the spare pump.
So, last week I called ITR to ask if the $300 spare pump I had purchased a year ago would last me much longer than the original pump. The gentleman said nope and that none of the pumps of this type were holding up. He ended up selling me a new “better engineered” pump for a reduced price of $225 (down from $250) and assured me that it should be trouble free.
I guess I should be happy but I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Just don’t like it when a known product is prone to failure and is not backed up by the manufacturer except for a 10% discount on a “new and improved replacement“.
I will post a picture of the new model pump when I receive it. I think I will replace the summer loop with the new pump and keep the old one for a spare when one of the zone pumps gives out.

I've been tempting fate by not carrying a spare pump. Guess it is about time to buy one. Is there a different Part # to ask for? If I just call and order a spare pump, am I likely to get the old, failure-prone model?

TJ

I've been tempting fate by not carrying a spare pump. Guess it is about time to buy one. Is there a different Part # to ask for? If I just call and order a spare pump, am I likely to get the old, failure-prone model?

TJ
I will post a picture of the new pump and label/part# when it arrives. My impression was that they think they now have a much better engineered pump and no longer stock the original but who knows!

I will post a picture of the new pump and label/part# when it arrives. My impression was that they think they now have a much better engineered pump and no longer stock the original but who knows!
Make sure you have something like these hose clampoffs:
Absolutely necessary for the job. Hose clamp pliers also come in handy.

Got the clamps and pliers on hand; just need the replacement pump.

TJ

Here is picture of the old and new pumps. First is the old pump by GRI with the second is new pump by ITR, which was purchased April 2019

Attachments

• 584B518D-25F1-4468-A99C-0F7192D79CCE.jpeg
    584B518D-25F1-4468-A99C-0F7192D79CCE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 40
  • 9C973390-7912-4EBB-AD07-B4C1E1A2899F.jpeg
    9C973390-7912-4EBB-AD07-B4C1E1A2899F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
Here is picture of the old and new pumps. First is the old pump by GRI with the second is new pump by ITR, which was purchased April 2019
Thanks, Bill. That is very helpful. Gotta get out the credit card and stock up. I'm gonna buy two on the theory that if I have that many on hand, I will never need to use either one. Well, one can hope.

TJ

I'm scared to even open the box to see what I have for a spare pump. I'm sure ITR wouldn't take it back to credit or exchange towards the new one. Awe heck, I have to look...

They might, worth a try if you have the old one. Think the new started shipping late “summer” 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back