Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question DS Headlight High/Low Beams Switched?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
Ok, enough...this is just not right, and I’m guessing plenty more have the same experience. But my goal is to get it fixed!

So, after 20k miles and a bit of night driving, I am 100% convinced the headlights on our 2019 Dutch Star (Spartan) are not wired correctly.

Before we go any further, I’ve adjusted and replaced my bulbs with top of the line LEDs...for $200.

When I hit the high beams, my lights virtually disappear...totally unusable...No light remains in front of the coach at all. Both myself, and Newmar, have been unable to adjust the lights downward any further, thanks to the crappy mounting system they use, which makes the housing hit the body. The beams are aimed too high, and I get flashed occasionally. I feel as if the lights are on High-beam when supposed to be on low, but when flipped to High...I’m not sure what’s happening, but it ain’t good!

Furthermore, and even more convincing, is that the ”FLASH TO PASS” momentary toggle on the turn-stalk DOES NOT WORK when the beams are on LOW. It DOES, however, work when on HIGH. Huh? Yeah, when the beams are on HIGH, and you toggle the lever, your beams flicker to LOW. NO NO NO...that’s NOT the way that system is supposed to work.

I think I’ll remove a bulb and keep it connected and, with my good sunglasses, see what the actual bulb is doing.

Before addressing this with Spartan, because that’s EXACTLY who Newmar blames for chassis wiring, I wanted to hear from you all to see how many have the same problem. And, I KNOW there are...because we tested another 2019 at Newmar Service last year and it did the same thing.

This is NOT a discussion on “what type of bulb to use”, “replacing your headlights”, or “this is why I don’t drive at night”. There are other thread for that, so please don’t post those suggestions here.

Last edited:
I would put the original bulb in and retest. When I first put in the M4 LED's in experimenting with replacement bulbs I experienced pretty much the same thing. This is a matter of that LED lights are not designed for reflector assemblies as in the Ventana. I don't know what you have. If it were me, again, I'd go back to stock bulb and form a baseline. I read your statement at the bottom and I disagree and recommend testing with what it came with first. The ones I settled on recommended by @redbaron worked great in low beam and had little benefit in high beam. I have since entirely replaced my headlamp assemblies for a massive improvement. Find the DOT number of your assembly and see if you can find a more modern headlamp and it will likely help immensely.

Last edited:
I believe the led bulbs require a single orientation. I bought some nice ones too, and high beams where vastly different pattern than low. Turning the bulb 90 degrees made a huge difference

Thanks Neal...knew you couldn’t resist. ?
But, I already made that baseline, and of course, read the ENTIRE thread where you and RB made suggestion. I, in fact, bought the Brightechs and returned them since they didn’t fit correctly. I ended up with even better ones called GTR ULTRA GEN 2 which are even brighter and fit great.

Orientation is critical, yes. And I’ve oriented mine vertical just as supposed to...and it matches the orientation of the original filament.

The lights are working correctly, in terms of the actual beam “raising” on high beam. Additionally, the LED is functioning correctly; I just checked. The FORWARD LED is the LOW, and the REAR LED is the HIGH.

Again, the question here is, was, the switch being reversed. The FLASH TO PASS is not working like it should and I suspected it has something to do with things.

Another weird anomaly is that...even with ignition/accessory OFF...the GLASS DASH will illuminate and give an ALERT with ‘HIGH BEAMS ON’. Odd to only alert if the HIGH beams are on; it SHOULD alert you just like an auto would...whenever the lights are left on with the ignition off.

Sounds like your coach is wired backwards. They wouldn't warranty that??? Sounds like a safety issue. I think if you had a wreck because you couldn't see where you were going and sued them due to the safety issue that you brought to their attention, you'd win. Maybe if you approached it like that with a Management type person they would understand. The folks at the 1-800 help line are usually no help.

Just curious what your headlights look like? Mine are two round holes in the fiberglass with halogen bulbs way back up in there. I have little to no lights either. I'd like to change the bulbs to the brightest thing I can find in an LED bulb but only if it will help. Sounds like it didn't help you. What do your lights look like? Can you post a pic?

Sounds like your coach is wired backwards. They wouldn't warranty that??? Sounds like a safety issue. I think if you had a wreck because you couldn't see where you were going and sued them due to the safety issue that you brought to their attention, you'd win.
Here's the problem with that: the OEM lights have been replaced with aftermarket LEDS. There is no Newmar warranty issue involved.

TJ

Sounds like your coach is wired backwards. They wouldn't warranty that??? Sounds like a safety issue. I think if you had a wreck because you couldn't see where you were going and sued them due to the safety issue that you brought to their attention, you'd win. Maybe if you approached it like that with a Management type person they would understand. The folks at the 1-800 help line are usually no help.

Just curious what your headlights look like? Mine are two round holes in the fiberglass with halogen bulbs way back up in there. I have little to no lights either. I'd like to change the bulbs to the brightest thing I can find in an LED bulb but only if it will help. Sounds like it didn't help you. What do your lights look like? Can you post a pic?
Hi. I’ll keep working with Spartan on the wiring.

You can look up the lights...they are Dodge Challenger units. Try posting your question on the forum for your coach; you should get some ideas.

Hi. I’ll keep working with Spartan on the wiring.

You can look up the lights...they are Dodge Challenger units. Try posting your question on the forum for your coach; you should get some ideas.
Sorry for posting in the Newmar section. I didn't go through the front door so I had no idea this was where this conversation was taking place. I see that now at the very top of the page header. I clicked on the "New Posts" tab at the top of the page and thought this post looked interesting. I'll be careful not to do this again. :rolleyes:

Here's the problem with that: the OEM lights have been replaced with aftermarket LEDS. There is no Newmar warranty issue involved.

TJ
The bulbs are not the issue, I don't believe. The high beam is wired to the low beam wire on the switch and vice versa. It has nothing to do with the bulbs. He said it did it before changing the bulbs, right? Hope he figures it out or finds someone at Newmar that cares enough to try to help him. Customer service isn't what it used to be.

The bulbs are not the issue, I don't believe. The high beam is wired to the low beam wire on the switch and vice versa. It has nothing to do with the bulbs. He said it did it before changing the bulbs, right? Hope he figures it out or finds someone at Newmar that cares enough to try to help him. Customer service isn't what it used to be.
My point was only that when you modify something, it gives the manufacturer an opening to claim that you caused the problem. Not finding fault with either @CaptainGizmo or the concept of modifying the lights; just pointing out that there is now a point of contention on warranty coverage.

It does sound like things are wired incorrectly and I'm pretty confident that Spartan will step up and fix the issue or, at least, determine the reason behind the problem if it is somehow related to installing after-market lights.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back