Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
For sale: Gently used Monaco Diplomat, height reduced from 12'10 to 9'8, great fixer upper and perfect for the convertible lovers. Tires and batteries in great condition, flow through ventilation. Cleans up nicely with broom and dustpan. Minimal maintenance required.

diplomat.png
diplomat-2.png

OMG, WHAT was he/she thinking?

83 year old driver with 93 year old wife as passenger, both in hospital, hopefully not hurt bad.

They apparently got all the way from Montana to there, somewhere around Joplin Missouri I think.

My greatest fear ever. I am almost OCD when it comes to trip planning and routing and I check every road, every stop in and out of places especially parks. I always have an exit plan memorized wherever I go. One thing is for sure, I do not deviate from the trip plan unless forced by road closure weather etc. RV trip wizard has some great features that include low clearances and you can generate a Google street view that is very handy also available in Google Maps. I feel for those owners hoping they are not hurt too badly because their coach is destroyed and hopefully they had good coverage to recoup some of the lost value.

83 year old driver with 93 year old wife as passenger, both in hospital, hopefully not hurt bad.

They apparently got all the way from Montana to there, somewhere around Joplin Missouri I think.
I realize we should not gauge everyone by the same metrics, but I do believe we all get to a time that our reflexes are diminished as is our attention and other functions. At this point in our life, we are better suited to take a bus vs driving one.

…I do believe we all get to a time that our reflexes are diminished as is our attention and other functions. At this point in our life, we are better suited to take a bus vs driving one.
Yep; we resemble that comment! And, may we each be aware enough when that time comes to hang up the keys.

TJ

I pray for their recovery...their coach is broken as is their heart. Made me grateful I still look at ALL the clearance signs. But hey, I'm the guy that on my first trip left the campground with the "Wineguard" up...again, I'm grateful I learned a valuable lesson for less than $200.00

I try to stay close to the interstate.

This was certainly a tragic situation and our prayers are also extended to the injured couple. In light of the seriousness of this situation and injuries suffered, I wonder if the author might consider editing the thread title a bit to move it away from a humorous perspective?

Maybe I’m just being overly sensitive, but the humor that we first see in situations like this gets quickly tempered by the realization that hopes, dreams, health and future lifestyles of those involved have been affected.

TJ

I agree, it is a very sad situation for anyone that endured something like this regardless of age, condition, etc. It's tragic! We can all learn from it, somehow and in someway. I know after driving many hours we get tired and may make bad decisions. I think it was Bend, OR where I went in the wrong way by following GPS and I found a bridge that didn't pass the clearance test of my coach. Yes, I sure thought "is it really...." but better judgment and lack of another RV story to entertain with I did the right thing. Exhaustion can play a nasty game with us. Some may remember the London Aire that was in the Newmar service center for a very long time with no roof. I believe that story was something like...they pulled off the highway to find gas and went under an overpass that didn't meet the height requirement obviously. It's not a one off situation, it happens. Some make the news, some make the observations of service centers.

Hoping those affected are okay.

Latest resources

Back