Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
The bulb in one of my license plate lights is burned out. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the lens cover to access the bulb. I'm thinking of prying the lens off, but figured I would ask before I break something. It looks like the sides may push in or out to free up the lens, but the sides of the light are pretty firm.
IMG_6239.jpg

In looking at ours, it appears that on the inside of the engine compartment there are a couple of studs through the bodywork with nuts on them that secure the light assembly in place. I'm wondering if you need to remove the nuts and pull the assembly out to change the bulb (or, possibly, LED)?

TJ

So I did a bit more of web searching. Comnet pointed me to a manufacturer's part number of M150C. Found that the light is made by Peterson Manufacturing.

Here is there web page for the 150C "License Plate/Utility Light".

I found the 150C part on various websites including RockAuto. Their price is $3.04. As expected about 40% of Newmar's price.

The product webpage states that "lens and housing are welded into single unit". So looks like there is no serviceable light bulb.

Here is pictures of the light from the rear and from the engine compartment. There is a screw on the backside of one of the lights, I'm gonna guess that once the light is removed (prying?) that the the screw holds an outer housing to the body. The other light doesn't have any screws. Perhaps the outer housing (black trim around the light) is held in by friction, but they the messed the body up on one of the lights and a screw was required?
IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6248.jpg

I found the mounts that Newmar uses. Here is the link.

After looking over the picture of the mount, I decided to pry the light out of the mount. It came out pretty easily. Nothing broke.

There were two screws securing the mount to the body. I'm guess one of the screws is short enough that it did not extend all the way through the fiberglass.

@TJ&LadyDi - Thanks for you assistance.

I found the mounts that Newmar uses. Here is the link.

After looking over the picture of the mount, I decided to pry the light out of the mount. It came out pretty easily. Nothing broke.

There were two screws securing the mount to the body. I'm guess one of the screws is short enough that it did not extend all the way through the fiberglass.

@TJ&LadyDi - Thanks for you assistance.
So, is the lamp/LED replaceable or do you remove and replace the whole assembly?

TJ

The whole assembly (minus the mount) needs to be replaced. Peterson Manufacturing states that the lights are "Interchangeable with competitive units" so I'm guessing there are other brands that can be used. Note that the side of the "lens is painted to meet license illuminator requirements". It ensures that the light will not shine backwards onto vehicles behind you.

The 153C-P is an LED version that is just over 4 times the cost ($13.46 at RockAuto). The length differs by 0.02". The width by 0.01".

I'm trying to think of a good reason to get the LED version. They may light up the license plate more (not sure that's a good thing). They may last longer, but I'm not sure 4 times the cost would make it worth it. And I'm not really concerned about any power savings, since you typically only have the lights on when the engine is running, thus alternator providing the power. Here's a picture of the LED version.

sm234607098.jpg

Not having the hassle you have gone through to date for me would be the kicker. Not having to always fix something is a plus, and who you going to give the 10 bucks too?

There’s always something to fix and usually a learning curve associated with it. The research done to date is a “sunk cost” that needed to be done no matter which bulb was purchased. I ordered a spare and next time it will take me a matter of minutes to replace.

Latest resources

Back