Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

motorsports03

RVF Newbee
Hi, I am looking to getting back into a truck for camping and everyday usage. Unfortunately the market is over priced and what I can afford is going to be higher in mileage than I would like. My question for everyone is: What is the best truck with a good reputation for towing that is higher in mileage? I am a Chevy guy but open to anything. I am currently pulling my setup with a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7.

In terms of higher mileage reliability, you can't beat a 2007-2021 Toyota Tundra. The 4.7L V8 is the one that's done a million miles but I would go for the 5.7L V8 for towing.

What are you planning on regularly pulling with it? I saw your single axle trailer in your intro post and I would think if you're not going any bigger than that, you should have lots of options. I considered a tundra specd out just how I want it in 2020 but it was more of a want than need and now the new one can't even come close to how I need. That it's now easily over $50K vs. the $38K of what i specd makes the decision much easier. More recently I specd a 2023 F150 with the 3.5L TT engine and it came to $47K but it was 2wd. I'm not crazy about twin (or single) turbo anything for longevity but the quasi efficiency along with 400hp and 500lbft sure does look impressive on paper.

No, the rig in my bio is the only thing I am towing. My current vehicle pulls just fine but starting to have some mechanical issues. The Jeep just hit 200k. I would like to get back into a 1500 truck or a bigger suv. I like Chevrolet, but looking more at Ford's, maybe a diesel. The other problem is funds, working with about 10k. The market is so over priced right now.

I like Ford and have towed with F250 for years. F150 will be better as a daily driver and towing as needed. My diesel was never a daily driver. Just realize that at some point you may want to upgrade the camper. So to have a truck that can handle the up grade would be nice. Happy shopping.

The market is indeed overpriced! An older, low mileage diesel could be worth a look and would be devoid of most of the emissions stuff that adds so much cost and unreliability to newer trucks. The Tundra from 2007 - 2021 would be my target with that budget and probably one of the earlier ones with some miles on it but from somewhere that never sees road salt. 2wd will save you some money on buying and operating and shouldn't be too much of a compromise if you're not venturing too far off road.

Another consideration might be to look at a salvage title vehicle. It's a hefty leap of faith but the same labor shortage and lack of parts availability in other markets is also affecting body shops. A vehicle that in ordinary times would be fixed might now be totaled due to the length (& associated cost) of an interim rental car. It would matter less that the factory warranty is void when looking at something that already had it expire years ago. Recently a 2018 4×4 Expedition with 70K miles for $18K caught my eye so I asked the seller about what happened to declare it totaled, it was timing for parts. Wherever a damaged vehicle is being stored while waiting on parts can also add $20 - $50/day to the repair invoice pushing more minor damaged vehicles into the totaled category. The Expedition in question had a minor ding in the right rear that affected no mechanical systems nor did it even need alignment, just a bumper, some sheet metal & paint. No glass was broken and no airbags were deployed. The only reason I didn't look into it further was the lack of a towing package rated it under 7Klb vs. over 9Klb with the towing package.

Good luck shopping and be sure to put out lots of feelers and set lots of alerts, good deals always go fast!

Latest resources

Back