RV Model
Southwind
RV Length
33'
Engine
GMC
Fulltimer
Yes
I purchased a 1995 Fleetwood Southwind and, as I expected, there are some definite issues with it. I still probably got the deal of a lifetime on it regardless, but I do have a few things that I need to address, and I have no idea where to begin. For starters, we are full time in the RV, so liveability is a must.
1. The hydraulic leveling panel has been removed, is there a manual way to lower the levelers?
2. When I went to the dump site at my campground, I was surprised to find that I couldn't remove the cap to attach the hose because the tanks are draining directly against it. My assumption is that the blade valves are no longer working, but that leaves me unable to utilize any running water, as the only way to drain the tanks now, is to to of the cap, and fire hydrant anything in a 50' radius with the nasty contents of my tanks. Any suggestions?
3. My water heater seems to be sporadic. When I say sporadic, I mean it worked one time, for 30 seconds, then never again. Oddly, it was about the 50th time I used the hot water when it worked. So it's not like it died after the first try. It just suddenly have me hot water for 30 seconds, then never again. I've done everything I could find on the net to troubleshoot, but unfortunately, every single thing starts with, "there's an on off switch outside in the panel, on the lower left". Simply put, NO THERE Isn't. There is no switch anywhere on or around the water heater or outside panel. The water heater is full, and there are no blockages anywhere. Ideas?
4. The Dometic RM 2807 heats up, instead of cooling down, literally to the point where you can cook a turkey in the freezer and you will burn yourself if you touch the metal shelf inside. The refrigerator section reeks of ammonia when it's turned on, so my assumption is, there's a leak, so the ammoniated system is not pulling heat, but generating it instead. Again, there are no blockages to the vent system, or the drain/vent hose, and the thermistor is in place, so I'm at a loss on this one as well.

Please help before I just drop an M-80 into the fuel tank, and chalk up the loss. 😂😂😂

This could get messy! I will start with the nicer items!!!
Water heaters are a luxury. Sponge bath is a short term answer. Boil water on the stove!!!

The fridge is dead! You can install panels, controller, and batteries, as well as an apartment fridge for the price of a replacement.

With house fridge leveling is for your comfort, choose a level location, or use blocks.

Hummm! If your dump station is at grade and paved, fashion a back-stop with a plastic box and empty the tanks. Black first, then gray. Before you do this job have replacement valves ready to fix it. There is a valve that has bayonets on both sides if you can leave it on the outlet, but it is better to fix the problem. Please clean up after you do your dirty!!!

I purchased a 1995 Fleetwood Southwind and, as I expected, there are some definite issues with it. I still probably got the deal of a lifetime on it regardless, but I do have a few things that I need to address, and I have no idea where to begin. For starters, we are full time in the RV, so liveability is a must.
1. The hydraulic leveling panel has been removed, is there a manual way to lower the levelers?
2. When I went to the dump site at my campground, I was surprised to find that I couldn't remove the cap to attach the hose because the tanks are draining directly against it. My assumption is that the blade valves are no longer working, but that leaves me unable to utilize any running water, as the only way to drain the tanks now, is to to of the cap, and fire hydrant anything in a 50' radius with the nasty contents of my tanks. Any suggestions?
3. My water heater seems to be sporadic. When I say sporadic, I mean it worked one time, for 30 seconds, then never again. Oddly, it was about the 50th time I used the hot water when it worked. So it's not like it died after the first try. It just suddenly have me hot water for 30 seconds, then never again. I've done everything I could find on the net to troubleshoot, but unfortunately, every single thing starts with, "there's an on off switch outside in the panel, on the lower left". Simply put, NO THERE Isn't. There is no switch anywhere on or around the water heater or outside panel. The water heater is full, and there are no blockages anywhere. Ideas?
4. The Dometic RM 2807 heats up, instead of cooling down, literally to the point where you can cook a turkey in the freezer and you will burn yourself if you touch the metal shelf inside. The refrigerator section reeks of ammonia when it's turned on, so my assumption is, there's a leak, so the ammoniated system is not pulling heat, but generating it instead. Again, there are no blockages to the vent system, or the drain/vent hose, and the thermistor is in place, so I'm at a loss on this one as well.

Please help before I just drop an M-80 into the fuel tank, and chalk up the loss. 😂😂😂
I think you have a diamond in the ruff . I think it all depends on if you can work on it yourself or have to have a repair shop involved . The refrigerator is a wrap it definitely needs replaced . I acquired a 91 Fleetwood Pace Arrow . I've done a lot of work to it . But it was a low mileage and gently used . I don't think the hot water tank will be that much of an issue .Yours seem like mine a lot of minor things but nothing major . Id stick with it . Have you priced new ones lately ? 😆

Last edited:
I think you have a diamond in the ruff . I think it all depends on if you can work on it yourself or have to have a repair shop involved . The refrigerator is a wrap it definitely needs replaced . I acquired a 91 Fleetwood Pace Arrow . I've done a lot of work to it . But it was a low mileage and gently used . I don't think the hot water tank will be that much of an issue .Yours seem like mine a lot of minor things but nothing major . Id stick with it . Have you priced new ones lately ? 😆
Yeah, the new Southwind runs around $260k. I paid $2000 for this one, with 50k miles, an overhaul on the engine trans and generator last year, and both rooftop AC units work. I'm wondering if I can rip the whole fridge unit out, and replace it with a traditional fridge from home Depot or something. I do t know why they use these ammonia based "heat removers" instead of a typical freon based fridge. Is it a weight issue? Replacing it with the same fridge is def a no from me dawg. I proceed the new Dometic, and it's $1000 more than I paid for the whole rig. Lol

Yeah, the new Southwind runs around $260k. I paid $2000 for this one, with 50k miles, an overhaul on the engine trans and generator last year, and both rooftop AC units work. I'm wondering if I can rip the whole fridge unit out, and replace it with a traditional fridge from home Depot or something. I do t know why they use these ammonia based "heat removers" instead of a typical freon based fridge. Is it a weight issue? Replacing it with the same fridge is def a no from me dawg. I proceed the new Dometic, and it's $1000 more than I paid for the whole rig. Lol
20230430_174040.jpg

I don't know, what do you think?

For the record, it is not because of weight! When your rig was new inverters were expensive and used a bunch of power just to run.

This is my freezer/fridge from home depot, right now used as freezer while I use up some stock.

But if you only paid 2K you got a HELL of a steal . If it has all the work you say it has I think its worth the price of a Dometic . I wish I was on your shoes . I wouldn't have any problems buying a new fridge .

Mine had a regular fridge ( small apartment size ) when i got my rig . I had to be on shore power or have the generator running . Well that didn't work for me . I like to boondock off the grid for days and sometimes weeks . I purchased a full sized Dometic gas and electric .

And it works good for me uses very little propane . I run my generator about half hour a day for the control panel . And it is a weight issue as well . But you do what's best for you . 😃

But if you only paid 2K you got a HELL of a steal . If it has all the work you say it has I think its worth the price of a Dometic . I wish I was on your shoes . I wouldn't have any problems buying a new fridge .

Mine had a regular fridge ( small apartment size ) when i got my rig . I had to be on shore power or have the generator running . Well that didn't work for me . I like to boondock off the grid for days and sometimes weeks . I purchased a full sized Dometic gas and electric .

And it works good for me uses very little propane . I run my generator about half hour a day for the control panel . And it is a weight issue as well . But you do what's best for you . 😃
I wouldn't have a problem buying the new one, if it weren't a monetary issue. Sole panels are pretty inexpensive nowadays, and that couples with an inverter should solve the shore power/generator issue for me. And you're right, it was a steal! She runs smooth and fairly quiet. Other than a few small leaks I've found, mechanically speaking, she's sound. I saw this exact model for sale in another state for $16k. I'm currently remodeling the interior, and making some customizations and modernizations. If anyone is interested in what I've done just this first week owning her, I'm more than happy to post a few pics.

I wouldn't have a problem buying the new one, if it weren't a monetary issue. Sole panels are pretty inexpensive nowadays, and that couples with an inverter should solve the shore power/generator issue for me. And you're right, it was a steal! She runs smooth and fairly quiet. Other than a few small leaks I've found, mechanically speaking, she's sound. I saw this exact model for sale in another state for $16k. I'm currently remodeling the interior, and making some customizations and modernizations. If anyone is interested in what I've done just this first week owning her, I'm more than happy to post a few pics.
When you say leaks what's leaking ? And I for one would love to see your progress on your up grades . Might give me some ideas on mine 😃

Small oil leak, and there's an ATF leak in the secondary gear box for reverse. When she goes dry, I get no reverse, but half a bottle of ATF, and I'm good for a while. I know I need to get a grease gun for the fittings, etc. Here's a few pics. The last owners had already started to demo the floors, and had to pull the wallpaper in the back bedroom for a leak, but all the leaks have been sealed up on the body. So far I've repaired the rear rooftop AC unit, laid some new flooring, sanded and stained some trim. There was a hole where the old microwave used to be, I cut it larger and custom fit a new microwave with a built in pizza oven, and added a tile backsplash in the kitchen. PXL_20230424_173407709.jpgPXL_20230425_035842493.MP.jpgPXL_20230424_173407709.jpgPXL_20230425_035842493.MP.jpgPXL_20230427_200814346.MP.jpgPXL_20230427_200820597.MP.jpgPXL_20230428_000959353.jpgPXL_20230424_054119848.jpgPXL_20230424_031633382.jpgPXL_20230424_031640664.jpgPXL_20230424_042105354.jpgPXL_20230424_042116180.jpg

Latest resources

Back