• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Now what? Can’t shut engine off

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It gets better…or, worse! Coming through Coeur d’ Alene, we had one of those unexplained adaptive cruise control hits. The ”check engine“ light is now on and the regular cruise control is disabled. I called both Newmar and Spartan; they pointed the finger at each other. I then called Cummins in Spokane and was told to leave my number for a callback. It never came. I finally called their after-hours number and got connected to someone. The best they can do is to have me come to their shop at 7:00 am Monday morning.

We’re in a KOA near Spokane, but they were full for the weekend. Because we are regular customers here (and, we know the owner), they have found us a site for the weekend, though we have to change sites each day. That will work.

My patience with this coach has worn very thin, as has my patience with the response I got from both Newmar and Spartan when I called. Right now, I am strongly inclined to get all the current issues fixed and put the coach up for sale. I’m just tired of dealing with problems that shouldn’t occur on a three-year old, half-million-dollar-plus coach. And, I’m really tired of dealing with Newmar!!!

TJ

Last edited:
Newmar has never been a help with chassis issues. Never.

Adaptive cruise is going to be a nightmare to diagnose because it is a newmar coordinated feature with spartan/freightliner not taking ownership.

The fuel cut off is going to be a $5 relay, and is very easy to swap out. If you make it to Polson and want a hand I can come down there and help you with that. Won't touch the adaptive cruise.

Newmar has never been a help with chassis issues. Never.

Adaptive cruise is going to be a nightmare to diagnose because it is a newmar coordinated feature with spartan/freightliner not taking ownership.

The fuel cut off is going to be a $5 relay, and is very easy to swap out. If you make it to Polson and want a hand I can come down there and help you with that. Won't touch the adaptive cruise.
Thanks for the offer, but currently we are headed away from Polson. We’re going back to Washington state for a few days, then to Oregon and then back to Polson about July 1. Right now, we are in Spokane Valley, Washington.

Can you tell me where to look for the relay? I’m thinking that is a pretty good diagnosis. Knowing what to look for and where would be a big help.

The Cummins service center in Spokane is also a Spartan 1W (warranty repairs) service facility. We now have an appointment on Monday morning for them to check codes and diagnose the issues. This should all be under warranty AFAIK. If not, I’ll drag out the checkbook.

TJ

The relay should be in the rear service area near chassis battery. It will control a push rod in the fuel rail that will shut off fuel delivery.

If you have an electric only hi pressure fuel, operating the chassis disconnect switch should also cut the engine. Some engines have a mechanical pump and electric primer, so battery is not required to keep running. Shutting off fuel is the only way to reliably kill a diesel.

Sorry to hear about this @TJ&LadyDi. I hope it all gets settled pronto

The relay should be in the rear service area near chassis battery. It will control a push rod in the fuel rail that will shut off fuel delivery.

If you have an electric only hi pressure fuel, operating the chassis disconnect switch should also cut the engine. Some engines have a mechanical pump and electric primer, so battery is not required to keep running. Shutting off fuel is the only way to reliably kill a diesel.
Doesn’t Spartan have a recall out on their high pressure fuel rail? Could this be related?

Doesn’t Spartan have a recall out on their high pressure fuel rail? Could this be related?
We’ll be at a Cummins/Spartan facility bright-and-early on Monday morning (OK, so maybe not “bright”) to find out what’s going on. That’s certainly one of the questions I will be asking. The fact that there are several things going on causes me to wonder if it is a fuel rail issue, however. We’ll see.

TJ

Here is a copy of the recall.
Newmar Corporation (Newmar) is recalling certain 2017-2022 Dutch Star, 2017-2019 Mountain Aire, 2019-2021 Ventana and 2021 New Aire motorhomes. The sealing washer may not seat correctly in the pilot bore holes, allowing the high pressure fuel rail assembly to leak. The potential number of units affected is 1,294.

A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire and serious injury.

Remedy
Dealers will inspect the rail threads, and replace the rail as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 19, 2021. Owners may contact Newmar customer service at 1-800-731-8000. Newmar’s number for this recall is Cummins 21E-032.

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153).

Would it look like this, @redbaron?

Relay photo.JPG

TJ

Answered my own question by looking up the part number. That’s the “backup alarm.” There are a couple of other suspects in the battery/filters compartment. I’ll see if I can get part numbers off of them.

TJ

Latest resources

Back