MikeTip

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire
RV Length
Hi Everyone, this is the newbie once again. I have a quick question about parking in less than perfect conditions. I have read about some products that allows you to drive the coach tires up onto a “block-like” level. We had a few circumstances (during our maiden voyage last month) that our level system didn’t work correctly and it “lifted” the entire wheel off the ground.

My question is: (1) Are these safe to use on a 2020 London Aire? (2) If so, what brand/type should we buy? (3) Any tips on how to use them properly would be appreciated.

We are heading out next month and would like to order, if appropriate. Being first timers is exciting, but somewhat overwhelming. Thanks for your help!

In general, leveling blocks should be a last resort IMO. Your London Aire weighs in at 54,000 pounds and few commercially available blocks will support that kind of weight. Even if you find some what will support up to 6,750 pounds (54,000 GVWR/8 wheels = 6,750# per wheel), there are some other issues to consider. One is twisting the chassis. If that happens, slides may bind up, not properly opening/closing. Another is the difficulty of getting the blocks properly placed for the inside duals.

With a large, heavy coach like the London Aire, I think your best option is to stay in places with fairly level sites.

TJ

I’m with TJ. I’ve had a few instances where my wheels were off the ground. Who cares? The hydraulics and jacks are designed for that, and having slight tire contact means nothing. Besides, I love a good sled ride. ;-)

I’ve had a couple instances where the leveling system could not reach level...for a variety of reasons. So, one time, I forced a manual level as best as I could. The other time, I ran it through the process a couple times, and it achieved level after that.

As long as it’s the front that’s occasionally off the ground. Never the rear. I’ve let it happen myself a few times, but don’t like the feeling f having the front of the coach so high. If it was for more than a 2-3 day stay, I’d probably mov e elsewhere.

Make sure to ENJOY THAT AWESOME COACH.you got a great one.

As long as it’s the front that’s occasionally off the ground. Never the rear. I’ve let it happen myself a few times, but don’t like the feeling f having the front of the coach so high. If it was for more than a 2-3 day stay, I’d probably mov e elsewhere.

Make sure to ENJOY THAT AWESOME COACH.you got a great one.
Thank you!!!!!

In general, leveling blocks should be a last resort IMO. Your London Aire weighs in at 54,000 pounds and few commercially available blocks will support that kind of weight. Even if you find some what will support up to 6,750 pounds (54,000 GVWR/8 wheels = 6,750# per wheel), there are some other issues to consider. One is twisting the chassis. If that happens, slides may bind up, not properly opening/closing. Another is the difficulty of getting the blocks properly placed for the inside duals.

With a large, heavy coach like the London Aire, I think your best option is to stay in places with fairly level sites.

TJ
Ok! I won’t be purchasing anything! Great advice and I REALLY appreciate it!

I’m with TJ. I’ve had a few instances where my wheels were off the ground. Who cares? The hydraulics and jacks are designed for that, and having slight tire contact means nothing. Besides, I love a good sled ride. ;-)

I’ve had a couple instances where the leveling system could not reach level...for a variety of reasons. So, one time, I forced a manual level as best as I could. The other time, I ran it through the process a couple times, and it achieved level after that.
I appreciate the experience and advice on trying a couple variations. I just thought having the front tires up may have been dangerous. We were on a fairly level concrete pad when this occurred, so if it happens again I will know what to try! Thank you for your help!

If you’re on a fairly level concrete pad and your coach is lifting tires to get level, your leveling system may need to be recalibrated.

“Fairly level” is of course a relative term but if you think it might be a system issue, in your manual for your leveling system, there is usually a section on recalibration for reprogramming the system. You would only want to do this on a very level site though. Don’t go trying it on a “fairly level” site.

If you’re on a fairly level concrete pad and your coach is lifting tires to get level, your leveling system may need to be recalibrated.

“Fairly level” is of course a relative term but if you think it might be a system issue, in your manual for your leveling system, there is usually a section on recalibration for reprogramming the system. You would only want to do this on a very level site though. Don’t go trying it on a “fairly level” site.
Thank you!!! We will have the mechanic look at this for us.

Try air leveling. You get a lot more variance with air leveling and wheels always on ground.

I usually use the air level unless the pad is a very sturdy pad.

Latest resources

Back