Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Which hitch system for a new truck and fifth wheel?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Boondoggle

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Luxe
RV Model
35GRS
RV Length
38'
Chassis
GMC 3500 HD
Engine
Diesel
Fulltimer
No
I'm upgrading from a 24’ travel trailer to a 37’ fifth wheel and I’m looking for opinions on a hitch system. I’m buying a new GMC 3500 HD dually diesel to pull a new Luxe 37' fifth wheel that has a GVWR of 21,000 lbs. and an estimated hitch weight of 3,700 lbs. Adding the additional industry standard 22% for equipment, gear, and supplies brings the hitch or pin weight to 4884. The dually truck has a maximum towing weight capacity of 31,180 lbs. and a maximum payload of 5607 lbs.

Now Luxe offers two pin boxes, a standard MOR/Ryde which has a pin box rating of 24,000 lbs. of the 5er with GVWRs over 18,000 lbs., or an optional Gen Y which has pin box ratings of up to 8,000 lbs. I've read about the pros and cons of the Gen Y hitch which can connect directly to a gooseneck coupler and would in theory be ideal, but evidently is a bear to center into a coupler and then in certain situations to disconnect. If I order the optional Gen Y, I would not need an additional hitch on the truck. But I would if I stay with the standard Mor/Ryde I would. So my question is which hitching system would you recommend given the heavy pin weight and GVWR for 1) ease of hooking and unhooking, and 2) the ability for a late 70s guy to possibly remove a hitch for using the bed for other purposes?

I have a B&W hitch in my F-350, for my 39ft Forrestriver Riverstone (RKFB). B&W was locally the top of the line available for the weight class I was looking at. The trailer weighs in at a bit over 19k dry and the hitch is "supposedly" rated to 30k. My spouse has of course added an additional 2k or more in sundries and her "junk", so we are well within the specs for the hitch. Far better than the previous hitch, and much more solidly built.

Ron

I have a B&W hitch in my F-350, for my 39ft Forrestriver Riverstone (RKFB). B&W was locally the top of the line available for the weight class I was looking at. The trailer weighs in at a bit over 19k dry and the hitch is "supposedly" rated to 30k. My spouse has of course added an additional 2k or more in sundries and her "junk", so we are well within the specs for the hitch. Far better than the previous hitch, and much more solidly built.

Ron
Thanks for the feedback Ron,
I agree and I looked at the B&W seriously. The only negative was how hard it would be for me at my age to remove and replace it when we're not pulling the 5er. The GMC has an optional rear-view camera mounted on the back of the cab that evidently helps to guide the hitching process. So with that, I'm pretty well locked in on the Gen Y system especially since I don't expect to do any off-road camping.

I have never actually removed the hitch, and honestly dont think I will, it looks far to heavy. All my kids know its there so they dont ask me to move stuff for them very often, which is a good thing. That along with the 75 gallon AUX tank in the bed makes the bed pretty full.

Ron

I also like the BW set up because I can tow a 5th wheel, goose neck, and also use the truck bed with nothing in the way. I normally run with an upside down goose neck ball so the bed is clear. So its quite versatile for me.

I also like the BW set up because I can tow a 5th wheel, goose neck, and also use the truck bed with nothing in the way. I normally run with an upside down goose neck ball so the bed is clear. So its quite versatile for me.
Thanks for the reply, Rich. I'm confused though about running with an upside-down goose neck ball connected to the B&W and still having a clear bed. What am I missing?

Thanks for the reply, Rich. I'm confused though about running with an upside-down goose neck ball connected to the B&W and still having a clear bed. What am I missing?
I think he's talking about the turnover ball. When you're not using it you can flip it upside down and it's flush with the bed.

Yes, of course. Typical old age brain fart.

You've got a good process Rich, but my concern is moving that heavy B&W in and out of the bed every time we want to take a trip. I'm just too old now and don't see myself getting younger.

Latest resources

Back