Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone flat-towing a 2020 Lincoln Nautilus?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
We’re getting ready to have LadyDi’s 2020 Lincoln Nautilus Reserve fitted out with a Roadmaster towing package (direct-connect base plate and Nighthawk tow bar) and Air Force One braking system. The RV shop is backed up for several weeks, so it will be early April before the install can be done. In the meantime, we’re gathering some information. Anyone out there already set up and towing this vehicle?

The pre-tow procedure is fairly well documented in the owner’s manual and seems relatively simple. Any cautions we should know about? Would hate to do something dumb and damage LadyDi’s pride and joy. :rolleyes:

TJ

We have an install appointment in mid-April to have a Roadmaster base plate, Nighthawk tow bar and toad-side Air Force One braking system installed. Looking forward to being able to tow LadyDi’s car. Now, we have two learn all the steps to put the Lincoln into tow mode. Seems straightforward, but want to do a few dry runs to be sure we understand the procedure.

TJ

Jim, I had the tow plates installed last week on our 2020 Nautilus Black Label. The parts supplier sent the wrong tow bar knuckles so they were not available for the initial install appointment. Tomorrow afternoon I will be taking the vehicle and the motorhome to the installer to complete the install. I am using the NSA ready brute elite tow bar.

I hope you have the 2.7L engine as the 2.0L engine cannot be flat towed.

I have had two previous Lincoln MKXs, 2013 and 2016, where the process of placing the vehicles in "tow mode" was easily performed while sitting behind the steering wheel. Now we get the 2020 Nautilus and find I cannot reach the "manual park release" cable located under the dash below the steering wheel without kneeling on the ground reaching under the dash to access the orange release cable. Once I pull the orange tether outward towards the driver's seat, and move the tether to the lower right-hand corner to seat a metal bead in the pocket, locking it in the override position. If done correctly, a message on the instrument cluster displays “Park Not Available,” “Transmission Not in Park” or “Shift System Fault.”

What the heck?! I have reached out to Ford/Lincoln customer service to voice my concerns of having to kneel on the ground to bypass the "Park" mode. I also conveyed that it does not seem safe to expect a simple plastic pocket to hold the tension on the release cable over the many years I hope to tow the vehicle. If that pocket fails or the bead is not positioned correctly the toad will go into the "Park" mode resulting in damage! The Customer Service Manager documented my concerns and told me that if I experience any problems that my concerns are documented. I was provided a case number for future reference. She also was to pass my concerns up the chain-of-command.

I plan to take a picture of the bead's position each time I bypass the "park" mode.

I also shared that as the RV community gets older I cannot imagine older folks having to or wanting to get on the ground to perform this process. I told her my next toad will most probably be a JEEP.

Jim, have you attempted the bypass process? I have attached a copy of the process duplicated from the owner's manual.

Attachments

• Towing 2020 nautilus on Four Wheels.docx
    14.8 KB · Views: 178
Jim, I had the tow plates installed last week on our 2020 Nautilus Black Label. The parts supplier sent the wrong tow bar knuckles so they were not available for the initial install appointment. Tomorrow afternoon I will be taking the vehicle and the motorhome to the installer to complete the install. I am using the NSA ready brute elite tow bar.

I have had two previous Lincoln MKXs, 2013 and 2016, where the process of placing the vehicles in "tow mode" was easily performed while sitting behind the steering wheel. Now we get the 2020 Nautilus and find I cannot reach the "manual park release" cable located under the dash below the steering wheel without kneeling on the ground reaching under the dash to access the orange release cable. Once I pull the orange tether outward towards the driver's seat, and move the tether to the lower right-hand corner to seat a metal bead in the pocket, locking it in the override position. If done correctly, a message on the instrument cluster displays “Park Not Available,” “Transmission Not in Park” or “Shift System Fault.”

What the heck?! I have reached out to Ford/Lincoln customer service to voice my concerns of having to kneel on the ground to bypass the "Park" mode. I also conveyed that it does not seem safe to expect a simple plastic pocket to hold the tension on the release cable over the many years I hope to tow the vehicle. If that pocket fails or the bead is not positioned correctly the toad will go into the "Park" mode resulting in damage! The Customer Service Manager documented my concerns and told me that if I experience any problems that my concerns are documented. I was provided a case number for future reference. She also was to pass my concerns up the chain-of-command.

I plan to take a picture of the bead's position each time I bypass the "park" mode.

I also shared that as the RV community gets older I cannot imagine older folks having to or wanting to get on the ground to perform this process. I told her my next toad will most probably be a JEEP.

Jim, have you attempted the bypass process? I have attached a copy of the process duplicated from the owner's manual.
Thanks for the feedback, @PdMeehan. Yes, we have the 2.7L engine so no worries there. I have researched the tow setup procedure pretty thoroughly, but have not actually done it. That will be done before the install. It doesn’t seem to complicated but your concerns about the strength of the plastic lockout are noted, along with the inability to do the procedure while seated behind the wheel.

TJ

Just went out and tried to reach the little box that contains the “manual park release.” There is absolutely no way any human being can reach it from a sitting position behind the wheel; not by at least 6 Inches. I’m going to try and figure out some kind of extension or hook that will allow me to reach it while seated. With the tow bar connected, I’m not overly concerned about having to have the brake pedal depressed when pulling the cable, but I sure don’t want to have to get down on my hands and knees to do the manual park procedure. I’ll see what I can figure out.

TJ

I would not wish that on anyone. I gave thought to the extension option but did not know how much control I would have to be able to guide the metal bead into the plastic pocket. I believe overtime and use the tension on the park release cable will ease up.
FYI, I was unable to remove the screw holding the cover on the box containing the "manual park release." I took it to Lincoln and they did it. I now leave the orange tether tucked behind the carpet. I will go see if I can get a picture.

Best of luck!

Trick is to place the metal bead in the plastic pocket.

Manual Park Release Cable.jpg

Last edited:

I would not wish that on anyone. I gave thought to the extension option but did not know how much control I would have to be able to guide the metal bead into the plastic pocket. I believe overtime and use the tension on the park release cable will ease up.
FYI, I was unable to remove the screw holding the cover on the box containing the "manual park release." I took it to Lincoln and they did it. I now leave the orange tether tucked behind the carpet. I will go see if I can get a picture.

Best of luck!

Trick is to place the metal bead in the plastic pocket.

View attachment 5733
I just got the 2020 nautilus black label to tow behind my 2020 dutch star. Had a wrangler but wanted a safer car in general. Getting ready to do the tow kit instal but getting conflicting info on whether the battery has to be disconnected after you are in tow mode and pull the brake release. Seems to me if you disconnect batt you lose all settings snd cant lock/unlock the car? My thought is to use a battery charge supply line from the umbilical to avoid draining the batt. Thoughts? Do you disconnect the battery with a disconnect switch? If so how do you lock and unlock the car. Thanks. Jay. Parrish Fl.

I just got the 2020 nautilus black label to tow behind my 2020 dutch star. Had a wrangler but wanted a safer car in general. Getting ready to do the tow kit instal but getting conflicting info on whether the battery has to be disconnected after you are in tow mode and pull the brake release. Seems to me if you disconnect batt you lose all settings snd cant lock/unlock the car? My thought is to use a battery charge supply line from the umbilical to avoid draining the batt. Thoughts? Do you disconnect the battery with a disconnect switch? If so how do you lock and unlock the car. Thanks. Jay. Parrish Fl

@Jayt13 I have the battery disconnect button. I lose no settings but do have to lock and unlock the vehicle with the key which is integrated into the key fob. The disconnect button was installed below the dash by my left ankle. I am guessing if power is allowed to stay on the "electric" parking brake will engage.

When we disconnect once we unlock the driver's door we push the power connect button. This gives the systems time to reboot and ready themselves for the start up process.

Thank you. That is very helpful

Latest resources

Back