Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Do you love where you live (politics excluded please)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

J&JD

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40’
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
There are some things that you just can’t beat about Northern California. The weather is amazing! Today it’s 68, sunny, with humidity at about 50 percent….perfect! We have damaging earthquakes (about every 50 years) but no snow, hurricanes, tornados or ice storms. I hope you like where you live as much as we do.
4CC205DC-A1AF-4AE5-9F13-6065C6C00081.jpeg
55A3C55F-04BF-4972-9CDB-BC16CA38B371.jpeg
40E998EC-77FC-44FD-856F-74560FBF03B7.jpeg

That's awesome but even more awesome is you are happy with where you live. I don't know that I can say that, but this is where family is, and that's #1 from what I'm told. The beauty of the RV is it allows me to explore where I may want to live, more than most have this opportunity to "test drive" locations but I haven't spent enough time in prospective locations. Much of my confusion is my adult life in the Air Force and moving every 2'ish years and having lived in so many great places, not realize how great until I left. I have Florida on the brain, Colorado, and Arizona but there are many other places I haven't been. Starting with my late summer trip to CO it will be starting to take a hard look at things BUT the problem is no way I would or could move now with housing prices, inflation, etc. I have a great house/home and I have to appreciate that, the location may not be a dream, but we have four seasons, mountains 2 hours west, beach 2 hours east, etc. which everytime I think of moving I keep coming back to that. I may start going most time to even most'er time soon, realizing I can keep this house and still "full time" and experience it if I want to. So we'll see how it goes.

One of the nice things about a forum and community like this is it's an extended family and we can help each other with such dilemma's and share your experiences with good and bad to help make that right decision for when the time comes. RVF is a family and that's what I really like about this.

There are some things that you just can’t beat about Northern California. The weather is amazing! Today it’s 68, sunny, with humidity at about 50 percent….perfect! We have damaging earthquakes (about every 50 years) but no snow, hurricanes, tornados or ice storms. I hope you like where you live as much as we do. View attachment 12204View attachment 12205View attachment 12206
One of the worst places to live is Pueblo, Co. Please tell all your friends. :)

J&JD, I assume you didn't mention wild fires because your part of California never has them? It just seems like the last few years everytime we travel west there are wild fires in one or more States, usually California. We have been in Colorado in a haze and it was because of Wyoming wild fires. Just curious.

We like where we live, at least where we call "home" from late September to the end of May. Central Florida is generally mild to warm, zero earth quakes, a handful of tiny tornadoes, and plenty of bugs to feed our great variety of birds! We exit Florida to travel around during hurricane season mainly because you can't hardly walk outside after 1pm due to the heat. But we still wouldn't move anywhere else.

J&JD, I assume you didn't mention wild fires because your part of California never has them? It just seems like the last few years everytime we travel west there are wild fires in one or more States, usually California. We have been in Colorado in a haze and it was because of Wyoming wild fires. Just curious.

We like where we live, at least where we call "home" from late September to the end of May. Central Florida is generally mild to warm, zero earth quakes, a handful of tiny tornadoes, and plenty of bugs to feed our great variety of birds! We exit Florida to travel around during hurricane season mainly because you can't hardly walk outside after 1pm due to the heat. But we still wouldn't move anywhere else.

We don’t live in a wild fire area thank goodness but that sure can be a problem out west. We just finished traveling through New Mexico where several were raging. Sad natural disasters for sure.
We also spent a month in Florida (Feb/Mar) of this year and really enjoyed it, especially the Gulf Coast and the Everglades. Key West was a bit of a zoo. I am, however, still recovering from the dozens of no-see-ems bites I received. Those creatures I certainly will not miss even though I never saw them!

I really love the beautiful mountains in North Georgia. You just can't beat all the greenery in the Spring and the colors in the Fall. It's warm 10 months out of the year. We have one of the lowest costs of living in the Country. Other than the city of Atlanta I think Georgia is one of the best States around. We're about 2 hours away from Atlanta so if we want to go see a ballgame or concert it's close enough. But the problems don't find there way this far North. ;)

I grew up in Sacramento and lived in that general vicinity for 55 years, before moving to Southern Oregon. I left the Sacramento area because I couldn't stand the never-ending population growth and everything that comes with that (higher crime, traffic, more difficulty in getting reservations for campgrounds, restaurants, etc.

I've now been in Southern Oregon for 14 years, and am ready for another move. This area is stunningly beautiful - mountains, lush forests, rivers, lakes, etc. And even though it doesn't have a severe climate, what can I say? I was spoiled in California. The ability to jump on my bicycle pretty much any month of the year there was something I greatly miss. Here, cycling in winter is out of the question, and each year more and more of summer is ruined by wildfire smoke. It's very discouraging. Plus, I live in the middle of the forest, so it's only a matter of time before my place goes up in smoke too. I just can't live with that anymore.

No idea where I'll go next. I've got my eyes open though.

I grew up in Sacramento and lived in that general vicinity for 55 years, before moving to Southern Oregon. I left the Sacramento area because I couldn't stand the never-ending population growth and everything that comes with that (higher crime, traffic, more difficulty in getting reservations for campgrounds, restaurants, etc.

I've now been in Southern Oregon for 14 years, and am ready for another move. This area is stunningly beautiful - mountains, lush forests, rivers, lakes, etc. And even though it doesn't have a severe climate, what can I say? I was spoiled in California. The ability to jump on my bicycle pretty much any month of the year there was something I greatly miss. Here, cycling in winter is out of the question, and each year more and more of summer is ruined by wildfire smoke. It's very discouraging. Plus, I live in the middle of the forest, so it's only a matter of time before my place goes up in smoke too. I just can't live with that anymore.

No idea where I'll go next. I've got my eyes open though.

Southern Oregon has many beautiful areas. Maybe you might look at moving to the coast in the Brookings area. The weather there is great for outdoor activities almost all year around.

Brookings is the southernmost city on the Oregon Coast. Known as "Oregon's Banana Belt", the city enjoys mild temperatures throughout the year. Summers average in the 70s and winters in the upper 50s and low 60s. The sun often pays a visit and rain is rare between the months of June and September.

Thanks, J&JD. Yes, we go to Brookings and other spots on the coast fairly often. We really like spending long weekends at Whaleshead. The big problem we have with Brookings (and most other places along the coast) is the average of 83-inches of rainfall per year, the frequent fog (although Brookings might be the best spot along the coast to avoid that (Chetco Effect) and the lack of shopping/restaurant choices. Places like Trader Joe's, Costco, or even Walmart are too far away to be practical. And although Brookings does have some nice restaurants, many of our favorites aren't anywhere near there.

And, although it could be a longshot, there's also the fact that the Cascadia Subduction Zone is long overdue for a massive earthquake, which usually has a big tsunami associated with it. The southern half of it (from roughly the Washington/Oregon border down to California's Lost Coast), has massive quakes on average of one every 246 years, if I remember correctly, and the last one was 322 years ago. Maybe the next one won't happen until long after we're dead and gone, but then again......... it's already overdue.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back