• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awning Mounts WRONG!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hey, just had an idea if anyone can give it a try.

I’ve heard that removing the kitchen vent housing should give you a visual of the ceiling members.

If this full length plate IS present, I’d think you could remove ANY vent or cover along that entire side and be able to verify.

I think I would wait to see what the roof material is, plate or continuous aluminum, before making any assumptions. If it's continuous aluminum, a fourth plate installed with a piece of square tubing welded between the original and new one would probably do the trick.

I pulled up some photos of my build....they don't help much, but the aluminum in the picture could be rolled over the roof.

Attachments

• P1010427.JPG
    P1010427.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 44
  • P1010376.JPG
    P1010376.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 48
  • P1010375.JPG
    P1010375.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 48
If that aluminum backer is the entire length, then this is a dyi fix.

I will be removing my fans tomorrow to see what is exposed. It should line up with the edge of the fan cutout or close to it.

@CaptainGizmo @redbaron - Well I finally got the nerve to climb up and check mine ... guess I was just afraid of what I might find. Fortunately all my brackets are in the proper configuration, however the bolts are loose on the very back bracket of the rear awning. I will just keep that one in until I can get to a location and have time to fix it. All the bolts look like maybe 1/4" lag bolts ... any idea what they screw into under the roof. They look like they are pulling out, not coming unscrewed.

Thanks again for posting about this issue ... would of never caught it without you doing this.

FLSteve

I had the samething happen to my 2018 DSDP. I brought to Newmar attention in March 2020, and this it the reply I got back from them. At the time I had 3 bolts that did not grab into anything. I asked if that made changes to newer models to have a thinker backer material since the bolts only went into the fiberglass and about 1/4" plywood. I ended up putting a larger lag bolts.

Newmar runs an aluminum backer plate under the roof material the complete length of the coach to help hold the lag bolts for the brackets. Most likely what has happened with your coach (I think the picture you sent confirms this), is that the installer obviously missed the backer during install. Rather than following the previous directions you were given, I would recommend that you add a lag a few inches closer to the edge of the coach in order to reach the intended backer.

So, I wonder if all of screws that are getting stripped, happen to be along the same edge...the one furthest from the side?
If so, then what Flarider is saying makes sense and the backing plate isn’t wide enough. This means the whole line of screws aren’t into anything other than balsa!! Yikes. So, yeah, setting duplicate screws would be prudent.

We really need an X-ray stud finder for this.

If we could just get someone with a camera and a tape measure to the station where they build the roofs. Anybody know anybody up there ????

It also seems like Newmar should have a design drawing that would show this???

FLSteve

Last edited:
I just heard back from Newmar. They are now fully aware of the issue and said they will take care of any repairs, no question.

They have offered me dealer or factory service. Can't ask for much more!

That's awesome @redbaron - that's why we buy Newmars! Can't imagine trying to get something like this fixed by a different manufacturer

Glad you heard back. I’m not surprised at their willingness to cover the repair.

I’ll check I with them to see if I can get full verification on the existing support structure as well as how THEY would fix the problem.

Monday at 10am PST

To all,

After waiting on hold for one hour with Newmar, I was able to request full engineering documentation and layouts to verify the roof structure.

Once received, I will post them here for your reference as well.

How goes the saying? You get what you pay for? You could always order a Newell.
Wait, what? You're kidding...I wish someone had told me that paying $400,000 wasn't enough to get a coach without problems!!

Crap.

Upon your recommendation, I'm on the line with Newell right now. I'm happy to know that, by paying $2.2 million, I'll finally get a coach without problems! Wish I had done that in the first place!

:rolleyes:

P.S. For Sale: 2019 DS4369, loaded with Specials, immaculate condition, near perfect except for a minor awning issue, a rare find at $425,000 (will include awning and roof repairs), ready for immediate delivery...no...wait...will delivery after my Newell is finished in 6 months. :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back