• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Retired

RVF VIP
Fulltimer
No
Looks like we will be on the road mid-May for 5-6-7-8 weeks. The length of trip depends on weather, family, campgrounds and how much fun we are having.

I bought a GoodSam membership today, dont know if I need it but Ive got it if I do.

I have an older Garmin GPS that I intend to bring along because I own it and there are areas out west with no cell coverage, that means no GPS app coverage either.

So do I need a RV GPS or will something like the Copilot APP be sufficient?

Our plan is to stick to the interstates and get where we are going, at least for this trip this year.

Atlanta to Tucson to Vegas to Denver to Atlanta.

You’ll probably do fine with your older Garmin. Co-Pilot is a good choice. RV Trip Wizard is also helpful but since I don’t want to pay for Co-Pilot, I use TruckMap which is free on iOS and Android

Not sure why you would think there will be place with no cell services. We have traveled to the destinations you have listed on several occasions over the past 11 years and never lost Verizon service, especially if you are staying close to interstates.

You don't list what year/make/model/style of RV you have so it is hard to really make a suggestion on mapping needs. If you are pulling a 22' travel trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup you probably can get by with a simple GPS. If on the other hand you are in a 43' diesel pusher towing a 28' stacker trailer then you may want to utilize not only some type of new GPS but also a trucker's atlas and/or other big rig app on your phone.

Another tip on your upcoming plans, we were finalizing a few stops in our pre-planning trip out west for between August and September. We are finding that most of the campgrounds are full already in many locations. For example, last week we just reserved one of the last spots at a KOA in Ft Collins. If you haven't started calling campgrounds you should immediately.

35' gasser.

We are not on a schedule so I am not making reservations.

At our destinations we can boondock on private property if need be.

On the way out and back we will be on roads that I have traveled many times. No need to do any sightseeing this trip. We are going to see people, not stuff.

Im ok with WM, Cracker Barrel and rest areas while in transit if need be.

For us this is the beauty of owning an RV, our schedule, not someone elses.

Take a look into Harvest Host this might be a viable alternative to staying in parking lots.

Looks like you're probably going through DFW, I-20 is the lesser of the evils and travel from about 10AM to 3PM if at all possible. Same thing for El Paso about timing.

Looks like we will be on the road mid-May for 5-6-7-8 weeks. The length of trip depends on weather, family, campgrounds and how much fun we are having.

I bought a GoodSam membership today, dont know if I need it but Ive got it if I do.

I have an older Garmin GPS that I intend to bring along because I own it and there are areas out west with no cell coverage, that means no GPS app coverage either.

So do I need a RV GPS or will something like the Copilot APP be sufficient?

Our plan is to stick to the interstates and get where we are going, at least for this trip this year.

Atlanta to Tucson to Vegas to Denver to Atlanta.
Use the PHX bypass and avoid PHX this trip.

Oh yah. Cell service along freeways is golden most of the times. Blue roads not as good.

35' gasser.

We are not on a schedule so I am not making reservations.

At our destinations we can boondock on private property if need be.

On the way out and back we will be on roads that I have traveled many times. No need to do any sightseeing this trip. We are going to see people, not stuff.

Im ok with WM, Cracker Barrel and rest areas while in transit if need be.

For us this is the beauty of owning an RV, our schedule, not someone elses.
Based on your second post, why would you even want or be concerned with what type of mapping or GPS to utilize?

As full timers I can assure you we haven't been on "someone else's schedule" just because we plan ahead and make reservations. I'm not interested in wondering down the interstate and starting around 4pm looking for a place to just park. What if that Cracker Barrel you visited in 2019 went out of business and their parking lot is closed and blocked off for example, what if the first couple of campgrounds you check are full and you there just so happens to be a severe storm in the area at the time. No thank you, I like relaxing and getting a good nights sleep so I'll make some advance plans.

I use the Garmin Rv 890 which I love. I also use RV Trip Wizard to plan my trip out with stops. It has a companion app RV Life which downloads the route to. I do a printout like the route I am taking step by step. Also I can import the route into my Garmin. This option is Great to have. Also trip wizard you can put your height, weight, gas mileage, and so forth. Best trip planning I have found so far.

Did you install Trip Wizard on a laptop or an iPad, or?? I thought I understood technology, but now I am not so sure!!

Latest resources

Back