• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Safe traveling tips for RVers in uncertain times

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Here is what I carry. Note that it is a gel not a spray. There is pro and cons with this. However, if you are in a confined space, a gel is much better than a spray. Or if the wind is blowing in your face, with a spray you end up spraying yourself.
The gel is a stream of Pepper material. Like silly string. You can send it out 15' or so. In my case, the more distance the better. Also the cons are you need to hit a vulnerable area. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NKSPR8/?tag=rvf01-20
That's better. You could put it on your belt and be ready in case some Yahoo walks up and starts something. I'm still digging something like this..........
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FHDZGGM/?tag=rvf01-20

Question:
What does it mean to not discharge the stun gun into the air for more than 1 second
Answer:
Just in case you need the same question answered for the 56th time, don't press the button for more than 1/60th of a minute because it'll create a ripple in the ozone layer and cause a chain reaction
By Pedro Rivera on December 20, 2019

lmao laughing GIF by Steve Harvey TV

What the heck travel in teams, and use one of these.

turret.png

I probably don't carry as much as many of you, but we feel were adequately prepared should we run into trouble. At the front of the line are 2 German Shepherds. They are great psychological deterrents and although neither of them has had any formal training, past experience indicates they would perform well should the need arise.

I also have a Taser Pulse stun gun which rides in the coach where I can grab it in time of need. But to be honest, if there ever came a time that I needed to STOP someone from entering the coach, I think the situation would require a more lethal response. I sure hope that never happens, but these are strange times. I also keep a Para Ordnance P13-45, attached with a MagTuff magnet, by my right knee when driving. It's easy to access and not obvious to the average person, in fact, nobody has ever noticed it that I'm aware of.

DSCN2232.JPG

DSCN2234.JPG

In the rear of the coach, I store a MKA 1919 12 gauge shotgun, modeled on the AR platform with several 5 and 10 round magazines. And on my hip (for the last 35 years) I carry a Kahr .9mm which makes me feel better when wandering around in some of the rest areas at night. Never had the need to deploy any of these and hope that my good luck continues. :)

Attachments

• 71OWrAXYbYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71OWrAXYbYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I'm not sure I want to have to carry a big can like that around with me the whole time I'm getting fuel. A smaller pocket sized option would be better. Did you notice that it is only 2% Capsacian??? (pepper) That must be some bad stuff!!
That big can is not so big and can be handled easy enough. It weighs a lot less than most any fire arm. They almost all come with a holster to wear on your side to grab it fast for bears. It would work on humans too in a pinch . Unlike normal pepper spay you will stop that person with bear spray. I will use it if I really had to and before I break out the real show stoppers . It's all last option for me to use them anyway.

Unfortunately I feel it necessary to carry Pepper spray everyday. It is at the ready, always. Even Though I have a carry permit and have trained with this option I choose not to carry everyday. At night, when camping or on the road, I'll carry but just going about my day I choose not to carry.
To get into the philosophy a bit, if you do not have a weapon, you will think twice about a sketchy situation and choose not to go there. With a weapon you might have more "confidence" a sketchy situation is OK to proceed.
At a gas pump, pepper spray or equivalent is a much better choice, in my opinion. Too many innocents around, and volatile substances.
Those that know me understand my physical limitations regarding retreating, but that is always the second option, the first option is not to put myself in that position. Using deadly force is way, way down on the list of options for me. But deadly force is on the list, like the "nuclear" option.
Although, I don't like sketchy situations, under any circumstances. Avoidance is always the best weapon, in my opinion.

Neal, I enjoy your posts they are always informative and helpful. However I don’t know where you’re hanging out but it seems like you have had some issues. It all comes down to age and risk tolerance. I can see some people in the rv community as being targets, wealthy older etc. I don’t have any issues because I’m younger and have a hardened demeanor about me. If someone comes up and tries to hustle me I tell them to beat it. Best advice and I agree with posters here, dress casually and have nothing suspicious like the nra/ political stickers and the like. I have seen it, not assuming anyone here does that. I personally carry a maple stick/club it’s not a weapon just a piece of wood I found laying on the ground, also fire extinguishers are handy for things other than fires, in my car I carry a mag light that has 4 c cells. Works as a legitimate flashlight and an improvised club. Best advice, avoid sketchy areas, don’t talk to strangers and always keep your head on a swivel, don’t be an easy mark.

also more importantly be aware of common tourist scams. Look them up, when I was in Seattle I watched as hustlers would hand a home made cd to Asian tourists then refuse to take the cd back them make a scene while yelling at them and demand payment. Not speaking very good English most of them just give the hustlers money to leave them alone. Lots of great YouTube videos on the tourist/traveler scams. It’s worth checking out.

most often I have seen the average looking middle aged guy, drives a decent looking car at a gas station that walks up to you and tells you a sob story about he is traveling and lost his wallet and doesn’t have money for gas, says he’s trying to visit his daughter in college. It’s believable for some people, problem is the scam was so common that everyone in the area was aware of it.

Last edited:
Bear spray. Sabre Frontiersman is 50% stronger than the pepper spray the police use and has 35' range. A 2 pack will run you about $60.

Bear spray. Sabre Frontiersman is 50% stronger than the pepper spray the police use and has 35' range. A 2 pack will run you about $60.
I agree, but bear spray has limitations by federal law. You cannot use them on people. However, that’s being better than dead. Be aware of your local laws using bear spray on people. This is why I carry a fire extinguisher. Be careful friend, in most situations by using bear spray YOU are the criminal.

Neal, I enjoy your posts they are always informative and helpful. However I don’t know where you’re hanging out but it seems like you have had some issues. It all comes down to age and risk tolerance. I can see some people in the rv community as being targets, wealthy older etc. I don’t have any issues because I’m younger and have a hardened demeanor about me. If someone comes up and tries to hustle me I tell them to beat it. Best advice and I agree with posters here, dress casually and have nothing suspicious like the nra/ political stickers and the like. I have seen it, not assuming anyone here does that. I personally carry a maple stick/club it’s not a weapon just a piece of wood I found laying on the ground, also fire extinguishers are handy for things other than fires, in my car I carry a mag light that has 4 c cells. Works as a legitimate flashlight and an improvised club. Best advice, avoid sketchy areas, don’t talk to strangers and always keep your head on a swivel, don’t be an easy mark.

also more importantly be aware of common tourist scams. Look them up, when I was in Seattle I watched as hustlers would hand a home made cd to Asian tourists then refuse to take the cd back them make a scene while yelling at them and demand payment. Not speaking very good English most of them just give the hustlers money to leave them alone. Lots of great YouTube videos on the tourist/traveler scams. It’s worth checking out.

most often I have seen the average looking middle aged guy, drives a decent looking car at a gas station that walks up to you and tells you a sob story about he is traveling and lost his wallet and doesn’t have money for gas, says he’s trying to visit his daughter in college. It’s believable for some people, problem is the scam was so common that everyone in the area was aware of it.
To fully understand Neil's post you quoted, and most of the other ones from back in that portion of 2020, you have to remember all the news coverage of those "peaceful protestors" storming through outdoor cafes terrorizing everyone. There was also footage of RVs getting stuck in stopped traffic due to those idiots and the protectors actually climbing on top of the RVs. Obviously things have calmed down in some parts of the country now.

Personal safety/security for RVers should always be an active topic IMHO. Even though I don't agree with some ideas that are shared I think it helps keep everyone thinking about it.

Latest resources

Back