RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4118
RV Length
41'
TOW/TOAD
2018 JL Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
One of the specials we ordered on our new Mountain Aire was to vent the microwave to the outside. This really helps with cooking food smells and excess heat. We had it on our previous coaches and really like it. I noticed they changed the outside wall vent cover this year and it did not seem to allow much air to get exhausted out. From looking up at it from the bottom it did not seem to be opening the flap when the fan was turned on. I wrote to the manufacturer of the vent cover and asked for a shop drawing of the unit and now I see the reason. It has a "damper lock" and I had never released it ... and boy does that make a difference. Just posting this in case others out there might have this style of vent cover. Here is a picture of what the cover looks like and the shop drawing showing the damper lock.

FLSteve (y)

66714313394__525BB95E-2DBE-48D4-8F31-C189C59CF417.JPEG

Attachments

• Outside Exterior Wall Vent for Mirowave with Markup.pdf
    284.1 KB · Views: 56
I wish I would have thought of that when we built our Ventana. It should be on the build sheet.

What exactly is a "damper lock" Steve?
Look at the PDF drawing I posted, and you can see it. It keeps the damper from opening so I guess when you are driving down the road it will not chatter from the wind noise.

Look at the PDF drawing I posted, and you can see it. It keeps the damper from opening so I guess when you are driving down the road it will not chatter from the wind noise.
Yep, I see it now.

@FLSteve I have that same vent cover on my 22 Dutch Star. First time for a outside vent for us. Since you had the outside vent on a previous coach and now on your new one I have a couple questions.

Any issue with "vent rattle" while traveling? We hear a "tinny" rattle when traveling on the expressway. If you have had this issue would love to hear about a fix if you have one.

Do you have "good" exhaust suction from the vent hood? Our vent hood seems to have very little suction. i.e. when the fan is on high it has little to no affect on a tissue held up near the intake.

Have you figured out a way to open the damper lock from the ground? I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the damper lock tab and using some type of hook to open and close from the ground.

We love ours. Wife can now make breakfast early without waking me with the smoke alarm. Worth every penny.

@FLSteve I have that same vent cover on my 22 Dutch Star. First time for a outside vent for us. Since you had the outside vent on a previous coach and now on your new one I have a couple questions.

Any issue with "vent rattle" while traveling? We hear a "tinny" rattle when traveling on the expressway. If you have had this issue would love to hear about a fix if you have one.

Do you have "good" exhaust suction from the vent hood? Our vent hood seems to have very little suction. i.e. when the fan is on high it has little to no affect on a tissue held up near the intake.

Have you figured out a way to open the damper lock from the ground? I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the damper lock tab and using some type of hook to open and close from the ground.
@Just George ... our previous coach was a Dutch Star and I could walk under the vent on the outside and feel the exhaust blowing down (and smell food). From the inside you don't really feel a lot of suction, but it seems to work. I have not noticed any rattle while driving ... but sometimes when set up at a campground if there is a really strong wind it will make the flap rattle once and a while. Overall we really like having it.

FLSteve

Just some user feedback ... I just drove about 400 miles and left the damper lock off (so flap was open) and did not hear any flapping or rattling noises, so will just plan to leave it open all the time. Again, this is for the style of vent in this picture.

FLSteve ;)

66714313394__525BB95E-2DBE-48D4-8F31-C189C59CF417.JPEG
Dexter Exterior Wall Vent.jpg
Vent Picture.jpg

@FLSteve Thanks for making this post. So I opened mine and it looked like the first photo and closed like yours above in 2nd . Did I do something wrong?
E4FC8501-2835-4AB4-933F-40E925AECD15.jpeg
90AF1E39-B256-4794-AD65-893EF05FE6ED.jpeg

Latest resources

Back