Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Weight % by axle? (front, rear & trailer)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NadrawS

RVF Newbee
Is there a calculator, that can tell you what % of total weight should be distributed to each axel when towing, including the trailer and front and rear of the tow vehicle?

Even with weight distribution, my set up feels real squirrely. R-pod 179 (20ft, 3046lbs, single axle) behind a 2021 F-150.

Despite following the instructions and watching countless YouTube videos on how to properly set up a distribution hitch, I am certain the issue is the result of user error.

I have access to a weigh station, so looking to science this thing.

Thanks!

Not sure of a calculator. But at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight should be on the hitch. Too little weight on the hitch will make you white knuckle it. Go up to 15% if you have to but make sure not to overload the truck. The way I always set up my weight distribution was measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground without the trailer attached. Do this for front and back. Now hook up the trailer with NO weight distribution. Do the same measurements again. Now hook up the weight distribution and start adjusting and trying to get the wheel well measurements as close to measurement you go without the trailer attached.

That will be a start for you. Use the scales to fine tune and you may have to move stuff around in the trailer to get it just right. Some trailers will tow great with water tanks full...some better with empty tanks.

Good sway control is just as important at proper weight distribution. Good luck!

Thanks Michael @ SaltyVetAdventures !

I took your advice and bolted a sway control bar on my rig yesterday. Will test drive tonight and see how it helps.

Regarding the 10-15% weight on the tongue rule of thumb… where do I want that weight to go on the truck?
Unhitched, my truck weighs 3100lbs front, 2350 rear (roughly 60/40). If the trailer weighs 3050lbs, 15% would be 450lbs. Should I try to distribute that additional weight across the truck axles @ 50/50 (225lbs front, 225lbs rear)? @ 60/40 to maintain the original weight ratio of the truck? Or am I just being OCD at this point?

Regarding measuring the wheel wells, I was told my F150 is 2” lower in the front to compensate for load. Should I try and replicate that 2” difference or flatten it out?

Thanks!

The back of the truck is usually higher so weight will help it flatten out. You won't distribute the hitch weight evenly across the truck axles. You also won't get back to the unloaded wheel well measurements. But you want know some of your hitch weight is being transferred to the front. That will help stabilize your truck.

I'm not trying to be vague but each set up really does have it's own "personality". Put some weight on the front axle and see how it drives. Still feels wiggly? Adjust some more until you are happy.

Also, remember that 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. You can go higher as long as you don't overload the truck.

One more piece of the puzzle that I didn't mention...you want the trailer sitting as level as possible when hitched up. So you may to to adjust the height of the hitch.

Yeah, I know...seems like a lot of pieces but once you get it dialed in you won't have to mess with it much anymore.

Keep us updated!

Latest resources

Back