Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

I don't like towing, I don't know what to do. I'm a full timer.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

nomanland21

RVF Regular
Good day everyone,

After being now, on my third rig, I've decided I don't care for towing, at least towing a travel trailer. I knew this from the start and why I bought a Class B. Which I did not like either. It was such an inconvenience to pack up camp each time I wanted to go hike or get groceries. So one thing I do know I love is having a car that can be detached from the RV. So I can roam freely without having things rattling, and shifted around behind me or the weight of a heavy trailer.

I have an Ford F-150 PowerBoost. I LOVE THIS TRUCK! It was been a great truck, tows solid, get horrible gas mileage but, who doesn't, and it drive like a dream. I had a 32ft TT which was way too big and I didn't realized until I start reading forums on here. I wish I would have done that before. I now have a very small 17' box, 21ft. total length. Great little trailer but, still sucks to tow around. I thought it was be better but, it's still a pain. I'm a solo traveler so I have to set up my rig at each stop, leveling, unhooking, etc. I have a back up camera which helps a lot. I still get annoyed with the whole backing in to site, getting level and unhooking. If I had a copilot, helper it would be a lot easier but, I don't and I'm fine with that. Geez, this is turning into a rant!

So, with buy and trading like an idiot, trying to figure out the perfect setup, I know have a ton of negative equity and no savings. I'm tempting to quit the full time RV that I love so much all because I can't find the correct rig setup for me. None of the motorhomes have decent interiors, in my opinion. They are just too dark, it seems Keystone is the only RV manufacturer out there that is doing a newer look with RVs and they don't sell motorhomes. Class A's seem too big and I don't care for a diesel vehicle. Too much of a headache with the DEF and higher prices at the pump. I've done the math and you're really not saving any money in the immediate with diesel. Class C's don't have a high towing capacity, most are really cramped, and they are not that great on gas. I've considered a truck camper but, I don't have a very high payload in my truck to set a decent size for my truck and full timing.

I've tried the suck it up, you're only doing this once a week thing but, this past set up I wanted to set the thing on fire and walk away! (I hope my insurance company doesn't read this post) I'm a pretty young guy at 36yo, fit and active but, damn set up day take all the life out of me. There's gotta be something out there that could work for me. 5th wheel could be an option but, again it's towing. If anyone out there reads this, please leave any suggestion. I'm open to any ideas. Thanks a million!

Are you opting for pull through spots or back-in?

Which part of the setup is worst for you? It generally only takes me about 20 minutes unless my wife doesn't like the spot I put the trailer in. I actually don't mind the unhitching part. Once the trailer is spotted and level, the rest is pretty easy. Breaking down the site and heading home is always worse.

Are you opting for pull through spots or back-in?

Which part of the setup is worst for you? It generally only takes me about 20 minutes unless my wife doesn't like the spot I put the trailer in. I actually don't mind the unhitching part. Once the trailer is spotted and level, the rest is pretty easy. Breaking down the site and heading home is always worse.
I'm with Thousand Trails, most of their sites are back-in. The back-in isn't really that difficult. It's the all the work it takes to get level, caulked, and unhitched. I've tried everything but, my truck seems to always roll while I'm trying to unhitch, even when the parking brake engaged completely. It stressed me out because it usually rolls back. The other part I can't stand is towing lol in general. I don't like having all that weight behind me. I've been towing since February, you'd think I'd have it figured out. I'm white knuckling even when I don't have to.

I'm with Thousand Trails, most of their sites are back-in. The back-in isn't really that difficult. It's the all the work it takes to get level, caulked, and unhitched. I've tried everything but, my truck seems to always roll while I'm trying to unhitch, even when the parking brake engaged completely. It stressed me out because it usually rolls back. The other part I can't stand is towing lol in general. I don't like having all that weight behind me. I've been towing since February, you'd think I'd have it figured out. I'm white knuckling even when I don't have to.
That seems odd to me. I have a 2020 Tundra and a 25' box/28' total trailer; two things that I know about my truck are that the parking brake is not that good and it supposedly has lower capability than most F150s. But I don't generally have either of those problems you describe. Maybe something on your truck or trailer is not set up correctly?

That seems odd to me. I have a 2020 Tundra and a 25' box/28' total trailer; two things that I know about my truck are that the parking brake is not that good and it supposedly has lower capability than most F150s. But I don't generally have either of those problems you describe. Maybe something on your truck or trailer is not set up correctly?
The last unhitch, Sunday, was at a level campsite. All I had to do was caulk up. Still had the roll back. I've tried pull forward a little do the transmission is in that direction and it still happens. I pull the park brake, while leaving my foot on the pedal for at least 30 secs to make sure it's fully engaged and the truck doesn't move. So I don't know what gives, it sucks though. Trailer sucks alone though. You have to run around the camper making sure everything is good and work the truck. You'd think it would be easier after 7 months.

The last unhitch, Sunday, was at a level campsite. All I had to do was caulk up. Still had the roll back. I've tried pull forward a little do the transmission is in that direction and it still happens. I pull the park brake, while leaving my foot on the pedal for at least 30 secs to make sure it's fully engaged and the truck doesn't move. So I don't know what gives, it sucks though. Trailer sucks alone though. You have to run around the camper making sure everything is good and work the truck. You'd think it would be easier after 7 months.
Advantage for me is my wife does all the setup inside the trailer and I do the outside stuff. So we both finish about the same time then can sit and relax or take the kids for a walk or whatever.

Advantage for me is my wife does all the setup inside the trailer and I do the outside stuff. So we both finish about the same time then can sit and relax or take the kids for a walk or whatever.
If only my dog would help me out! Haha, she just added to the stress and rush by whimpering for me to hurry up!

Reading all of this, and having had every type of RV (A,B,C, TT, 5th, truck camper) my guess (and thats all it really is) is that a smaller well equipped gas class A towing an older, light weight jeep would be a good set-up for you.

My jeep preference is 1998-2006 for suspension, drive train and weight reasons. There are a lot of choices on interiors on smaller (28-30’) gas class A coaches, they have the towing capacity, and most have automatic leveling systems.

Im in a 35’ diesel class A right now and I like the features and interior space it has but it is too big for the places I like to go. I’m certain I’ll be down-sizing in a few years and it will either be a smaller gas class A or a class C that can tow 5,000lbs. I can hook up or disconnect the jeep in about 3 minutes.

I put off towing a vehicle for years because it seemed like such a hassel, but when I finally did the research, found the right equipment (for me), and took the plunge, I found it easy and convenient. Now I can set up, leave the coach and explore, and on the next trip, even tent camp in some of the remote campgrounds you cant get to with any RV. Fun stuff!

Reading all of this, and having had every type of RV (A,B,C, TT, 5th, truck camper) my guess (and thats all it really is) is that a smaller well equipped gas class A towing an older, light weight jeep would be a good set-up for you.

My jeep preference is 1998-2006 for suspension, drive train and weight reasons. There are a lot of choices on interiors on smaller (28-30’) gas class A coaches, they have the towing capacity, and most have automatic leveling systems.

Im in a 35’ diesel class A right now and I like the features and interior space it has but it is too big for the places I like to go. I’m certain I’ll be down-sizing in a few years and it will either be a smaller gas class A or a class C that can tow 5,000lbs. I can hook up or disconnect the jeep in about 3 minutes.

I put off towing a vehicle for years because it seemed like such a hassel, but when I finally did the research, found the right equipment (for me), and took the plunge, I found it easy and convenient. Now I can set up, leave the coach and explore, and on the next trip, even tent camp in some of the remote campgrounds you cant get to with any RV. Fun stuff!
Thank you for your sharing your experience and recommendation. I'll take a look at some Class As, I'm having a hard time finding one with a clean, bright, minimalist interior that's not a few $100,000. I do like the Jeep Wrangler and off-roading/overlanding would be fun on the weekends when I don't have to be connected to work.

Try longer stays. Yes any RV is work setting up and tearing down. I could never move every week. Every month even seems often to me.

Heck, you are full time. Why not try seasonal camping. It would save a lot of money on camping fees and you may only move twice year.

Latest resources

Back