Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As I'm driving out of Big Timber, MT enjoying the great scenery I came to a realization, I think...we are just too structured as RVers. We work on schedules, reservations, it's like we're booking flights as we travel by RV. Who is brave enough to just go with the flow, don't make any reservations, find places as you go and just pull off and enjoy the great outdoors. Yes, boondocking, yes, probably have to figure out where the BLM lands are or just wing it and see what happens. I saw so many areas that I would have loved to just pull off and park it for the night. Enjoy the great views, enjoy the boondocking many of our RV's afford via GEN or solar. I think next time I go out to desolate lands I need to take a week and not make reservations and travel a little more free spirited.

Are you brave enough to go where the road leads without making reservations? Can you give it a week's try and see how it works out? I think if you're in the right area such as ID, MT, AZ, SD, etc. it could happen. I think up north would be far more breathtaking than the usual AZ desert landscape.

So yes, I accuse most of us of not living more freely and being too structured in reservation based travels in our RV's.

I agree wholeheartedly!

I'm planning a trip out west and have the same thoughts. I don't want to be burdened with "keeping a schedule".

I have never been out west in an RV and not sure where I'm allowed to boondock when needed.

Being based and hovering mainly on the eastern seaboard, it’s not the best idea to set out and wing it in a rig nearing 65’ in length unless your goal is to visit every Walmart in your AOR. I have never left home without reservations, some of which are made a full year in advance. It’s just the way it is.

Personally I suppose I need structure to relax ? Perhaps that's counter intuitive, but knowing what's ahead keeps me calm. Now, I'm OK with boondocking...but it's planned. I have full tanks, batteries are ready to go and I check the area (i.e., BLM land is open for camping...not always is). If I just took off without a plan I wouldn't enjoy myself...I know that GOD Almighty tells me "...not to worry..." but I'm not always obedient on that one. So yes...I probably am too structured...but it's my choice to be so. If you feel led to follow the sun and camp where the stars take you I say go for it. We'll probably end up in the same camp one day (I'll be there first)

"FREE-WHEELING" RV travel would be fun & interesting!
Maybe this could/would have been the case a few years ago, but with the growth in RV'ing, I venture it is almost impossible today.
As I sit here in Cozy Acres Campground, about 30 miles or so West of Richmond , Va; the park is almost full! Spoke with the owners yesterday, & they are FULL on weekends throughout the summer. Fortunately for us, as we will be here, leave, come back, leave & come back again; we were able to make our reservations in March!
During our two month excursion through several states, we are fortunate that we have "Reservations" at each stop; and when needed, we were able to extend a day or two.
RV Parks have more RV's than ever before, RV Dealers have fewer RV's than ever before. It's got to slow down. but when?
Oh well, We will just enjoy each of our stops along the way; and be thankful that we can travel & enjoy the beauty God has put before us!
SAFE TRAVELS & ENJOY!!(y)

I think there are areas where this can be done and areas where it shouldn't be done.

I agree with Ed . With that big rig of 60’ plus all together, for me is like flying the plane. I would like to know where I’m going to land before I take off. If it was a van or a 22-25’ camper, you can pull over just about anywhere for the night.
My commander in chief has a 3” thick binder with every stop’s address, phone number, reservation etc. I just drive and fix the thing.
Just got out of the half bath, removing and replacing the toilets air admittance valve with one I cobbled up from Home Depot parts.

Interesting question...some folks are very happy to have a plan, others feel constrained by a plan. My thought is to travel in any way that makes you happy. If you feel constrained by a plan, so be it.

For us, I am much happier with a detailed plan and actually enjoy the planning process. Does it mean that I must follow the plan, no we are very flexible but I always have options, and knowledge of where to go and what is available.
For me, just picking a direction leaves much too much to chance and potentially missed opportunities.

I agree with Ed . With that big rig of 60’ plus all together, for me is like flying the plane. I would like to know where I’m going to land before I take off. If it was a van or a 22-25’ camper, you can pull over just about anywhere for the night.
My commander in chief has a 3” thick binder with every stop’s address, phone number, reservation etc. I just drive and fix the thing.
Just got out of the half bath, removing and replacing the toilets air admittance valve with one I cobbled up from Home Depot parts.
That sounds just like us. I am the planner, Jerry is the driver/mechanic?. I really enjoy the planning, and learn a lot about our destinations ahead. We are planning about a 14 week trip to the SE early next year, and I had to get those Florida reservations way, way ahead, and even then it was tough, as the nice places are looking for snowbirds, not just travelers. To get Blue Water Key in Key West, it was even further out? However, I know what Neal means when traveling in the NW, as we often do. There are beautiful areas you pass, especially along rivers that we are tempted by. I am concerned about being in a fairly isolated area in a nice motorhome. We are licensed gun owners, but it still gives me pause. Judy D

I did plan a free trip, wandering, last year - a one week experiment. COVID destroyed that. I will have to try again. Don’t really boondock, maybe truckstopdock. Although, the truck stops were totally researched and planned. Oh well.

Latest resources

Back