Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Eastern Sierra

RVF Newbee
Hello everyone, I’m new to fifth wheels and rv’s in general. I have a 2021 Ford F-350 SRW with payload capacity of 4082 lbs. The fifth wheel I’m looking to get is a 2021 Grand Design Solitude 345gk. It has dry weight of 13,320 lbs, gross weight of 16,800 lbs, and a hitch weight of 2604 lbs (which I’m assuming is based off of dry weight). I highly doubt I would ever load it up to its max of 16800lbs. My question is do people with experience think my truck is enough?

First of all, forget the dry weight. You will never tow it at that weight. Look at the GVW (even though you say you will not load it to that weight) and use that for your calculations. Figure about 22% for the pin weight. That is 3696 pounds. Now add in the weight of you and what your passengers will be, the weight of anything else you will have in the back of the truck INCLUDING the hitch. Now you will have a basic idea as to the cargo weight. Thats what limits all trucks. Can you tow it? Sure, as long as you pay attention to the weight in the bed.

Yes. If you know your payload capacity is 4082 you will tow it with no issues. Make sure you go to a CAT scale and get all your weights to make sure you are within limits.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the payload is in the door sticker. It’s a big purchase, and I know I’m on the outer edge of what my truck is capable of, but I figure if I load smart, and pay close attention to payload weight I’ll be okay.

First of all, forget the dry weight. You will never tow it at that weight. Look at the GVW (even though you say you will not load it to that weight) and use that for your calculations. Figure about 22% for the pin weight. That is 3696 pounds. Now add in the weight of you and what your passengers will be, the weight of anything else you will have in the back of the truck INCLUDING the hitch. Now you will have a basic idea as to the cargo weight. Thats what limits all trucks. Can you tow it? Sure, as long as you pay attention to the weight in the bed.
Yes, I just put the dry weight for the heck of it, but you’re right I shouldn’t make any decisions based off that. According to your calculations I better not load the trailer to 22% of 16,800 lbs. that would be cutting it too close.

With that combination you could be closer than you think, however I'm guessing you won't be over on hitch weight.

When we initially began full timing I had a 2012 F350 SRW. We started with a 38' fiver. I weighed a couple times initially. I was within a few hundred pounds of maxing out on my payload after jamming all of our "stuff" in there. It shocked me to know that our clothes, tools, patio chairs, and food could weigh close to 3,000 pounds.

Anyway, each year I ran across the scales and had to get rid of a few things and make some adjustments. I hated being that close but it certainly worked.

I tow a 16,500 GVWR toy hauler with a 2022 Duramax 3500 SRW with no issues. My useful load according to the door sticker is 3927, so a bit less than yours. I do tow with an Andersen Ultimate which only weighs 35# and I seldom have full tanks.

Latest resources

Back