Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved New Aire docking lights relay location?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MarkMaxPayne

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
I've searched google, this forum, Newgle, manuals, and other places but I just cannot seem to find out which relay up in the front electrical basement is supposed to be for the docking lights. On my new 2023 Newmar New Aire every time I press the docking lights switch it glows for like half a second then I hear a pop to the left of the drivers seat and the docking light switch light goes out. Sure enough, when I open the electrical bay below the driver's side window I see the LED lit up on the KIB just above the 15A fuse for the docking lights indicating I've blown the fuse. Replace the fuse, try again, pop.

I was hoping if I could locate which relay is for the docking lights I could then test to see if I have a short on the switch side of the relay or on the docking lights side and then perhaps trace it down further myself from there.

Anybody able to point me to the diagram or photo of what relays control each of the 12V switching functions?

Thanks!

Best,
-Mark

I found these two pages, but most of the relays are unlabeled in the legend. Then there is also the possibility that there isn't a relay involved since they are LED and I was just assuming...

Thanks again,
-Mark

Attachments

• 4 Newmar KIB Fuse Panel.jpg
    4 Newmar KIB Fuse Panel.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 5 Spartan Chassis Fuses in Left Front Compartment.jpg
    5 Spartan Chassis Fuses in Left Front Compartment.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 5
I think I may have found the electrical short in my docking lights and the root cause. I used an ECT3000 to track down where the short was and found that the rear passenger side docking light had its body panel installed at the factory in such a way that it pinched the wire in two places. Pretty obvious to me that road vibrations would eventually cause the wires insulation to wear out and cause a short... Next call to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty given I don't feel like pulling the wheel fender panel and remounting it in addition to fixing the wires coming out of the LED light bar.

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20230902_123645.jpg
    20230902_123645.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230902_123830.jpg
    20230902_123830.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230902_122153.jpg
    20230902_122153.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230902_125051.jpg
    20230902_125051.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
And that was indeed the location of the short. Dealer fixed under warranty during October's service visit.

Achievement Unlocked: Docking lights working again.

Best,
-Mark

Thanks for all the updates and the final resolution.

Latest resources

Back