Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

star1k

RVF Regular
Hello, I need your opinion regarding a truck. I ordered F450 limited 6 months ago and it does not seem like I am anywhere near to delivery. I will need a truck in about 2-3 months from now and I am looking at other options. I was planning to have a heavy camper so DWR and diesel are a must. I was looking at cabin chassis for Ford F 550 Lariat and Ram 5500 limited ( at least those are available) but not sure which one would be better. I know those are commercials trucks and suspension will be harder, additionally, I know I will need to spend money for a flatbed, I was considering EBY. What other underwater stones are there? is there are better options? if so could you point out them to me? Thank you in advance.

That size truck is out of my league. I’m a Ford guy, but I know Ram is a quality truck. That’s a lot of truck. Good luck. Why is it so long on the 450?

You get a slightly beefier frame, more spring and a heavier rear axle housing with a 550/5500. Either will certainly ride rougher unladen than anything with a lower payload capacity. I still think after too many years, Fiat is still behind Ford in the corrosion resistance department but not by much and if driven through much salt, either will rust. The Fiat has the Cummins I6 engine which is preferred if longevity is a concern, there's a reason why well over 99.9% of OTR trucks use an inline 6 diesel instead of a V8, they really are that much better.

As far as heavy duty trucks go, GM would be my first choice and Ford my second. Ram has a stout powertrain but the rest of the truck is going to fall apart around it.

That size truck is out of my league. I’m a Ford guy, but I know Ram is a quality truck. That’s a lot of truck. Good luck. Why is it so long on the 450?
That is a good question why so long... they already started advertisements for 2024 trucks but can not deliver 2023 higher trims. At this point, I am seriously considering canceling my order and i see RAM has higher trims for their chassic configurations and they are on lots and they are cheaper ...

You get a slightly beefier frame, more spring and a heavier rear axle housing with a 550/5500. Either will certainly ride rougher unladen than anything with a lower payload capacity. I still think after too many years, Fiat is still behind Ford in the corrosion resistance department but not by much and if driven through much salt, either will rust. The Fiat has the Cummins I6 engine which is preferred if longevity is a concern, there's a reason why well over 99.9% of OTR trucks use an inline 6 diesel instead of a V8, they really are that much better.
Thank you for the input. Yes, it will be a bumpier ride for sure. I do see some people install "liquid spring" ( not sure it is the correct term) to have their truck do higher or lower so I would assume it also improves the ride. Does Fiat make puck-up trucks/ chassies? I do not see them on their website.

As far as heavy duty trucks go, GM would be my first choice and Ford my second. Ram has a stout powertrain but the rest of the truck is going to fall apart around it.
I asked my dealer today if he can get me f 550. Still waiting on a reply. But i see this truck in stock withc checks all my boxes except in color. Wow that is a Loooooong link lol
GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali| Vehicle Details | Vehicle Locator

Thank you for the input. Yes, it will be a bumpier ride for sure. I do see some people install "liquid spring" ( not sure it is the correct term) to have their truck do higher or lower so I would assume it also improves the ride. Does Fiat make puck-up trucks/ chassies? I do not see them on their website.
I'm not familiar with "liquid spring" but I have heard of people removing 2-3 leaves from the leaf spring pack and adding a pair of air springs so the ride would be comfortable unladen and still capable when loaded to the payload limit. Fiat owns Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge & RAM so RAM is the Fiat I was referencing, sorry for the confusion.

I'm not familiar with "liquid spring" but I have heard of people removing 2-3 leaves from the leaf spring pack and adding a pair of air springs so the ride would be comfortable unladen and still capable when loaded to the payload limit. Fiat owns Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge & RAM so RAM is the Fiat I was referencing, sorry for the confusion.
Good to know. Every day you learn something new. Never would've thought Fiat is so big. Expert installer of Liquid Springs CLASS suspension upgrade - Utility Bodywerks This is what I know about "liquid springs"

Latest resources

Back