Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Risrit

RVF Newbee
Hey all! I found my RV! And I love her. She's a 2019 Heartland Milestone 377MB. Now I need a truck to pull her. She is 42ft; 12,790 dry; GVWR 15,000; with a hitch weight of 2,430. My brother is a mechanic and he's happy to go look at trucks with me, but I want to go in as informed as I can. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

More is better than not enough.

3/4 ton will work, but it is going to be overloaded according to the door sticker. I pulled a 16,000 tow hauler with a 3/4 ton for a while before I upgraded to a 3500 SRW. It worked just fine, but I am more comfortable with the 1 ton. For one that long I would lean toward a dually if I were going to be pulling a lot. SRW will work for a few times a year.

You'll need a one ton truck at the minimum or you will be overloaded. A Chevy 3500 or Ford F350, not sure what size that is for Dodge.

A 1 ton dually would the best choice.
Unlike a lot of people, I would consider a gasoline version. UNLESS your going o be pulling the trailer a lot.
Reason being, a new dually diesel is $10,000 to $15,000 more than the same truck in a gas version. The gas rig will not take off as quick, but will pull fine. Towing gas mileage will be about the same. 8 to about 11mpg. Empty, diesel will do better. Maintenance will be nearly triple on a diesel over a gas.

Latest resources

Back